Tess Crowley/Daily. Buy this photo.

Right in the heart of downtown Ann Arbor is Red Yoga, a studio that opened in 2015 with the goal of teaching awareness, balance and acceptance. 421 East Liberty has become the mecca of exercised peace for a big part of Ann Arbor’s community. 

Red Yoga is not your typical yoga studio. This establishment teaches “hot yoga,” which mixes Vinyasa flows with premier heat and infrared light therapy. It is a place where anyone and everyone can work toward a better alignment with one’s inner peace, sweat out the mundanity of the 9 to 5 or the draining academic routine, or perhaps just escape the Michigan cold for a few hours to get wrapped up in the heat of the one-room studio. 

Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Red Yoga has done handstands and cartwheels to adapt to circumstances so that everyone can continue to practice the art of yoga. While the studio is still open seven days a week for in-person sessions, there are also plenty of daily Zoom classes for those who wish to exercise from the comfort of their own homes. Although one leaves the studio feeling renewed, these lessons are physically, mentally and even emotionally challenging. Nonetheless, the wide variety of classes and time slots allow cater to one’s personal preferences and needs. It also organizes retreats, workshops and Yoga teacher training sessions

I tried out Red Yoga last winter semester and it became my safe place. As someone who has never been able to reach her toes, I improved my flexibility, but I also became more mindful and found peace and solace when I needed it most. It also graced me with Annika Wang’s existence, The Daily’s Co-Managing Video Editor, so shout-out to her for being a teacher who became my best friend.

Daily Arts Writer Cecilia Duran can be reached at ccduran@umich.edu.