University President Mark Schlissel and The Board of Regents announced on Thursday the appointment of Kelli Trosvig as the University of Michigan’s first vice president for information technology and chief information officer, effective Nov. 14.

The new position was created and approved by the board in February with the aim to better consider information strategy in decision-making and planning processes for the University. In her new role, Trosvig will also be overseeing the creation of a broad information technology strategy, which will be applied to the whole University.

Trosvig currently serves as the vice president for information technology and chief information officer at the University of Washington. Schlissel said in a press release he believes Trosvig’s experience at UW will be a valuable attribute to her service at the University of Michigan.

“Ms. Trosvig’s experience as a higher education leader at the University of Washington will help her lead in U-M’s complex environment, spread across three campuses and our health system,” Schlissel said.

In her current role, Trosvig directs an IT team of about 850 individuals with an annual operating budget of more than $116 million and $25 million in annual capital expenditures.

Under her leadership, UW has instituted initiatives regarding modernization of major administrative systems, improvements to infrastructure, security and privacy across the UW networks and enhanced mobile offerings.

“I am excited about joining the team at Michigan,” Trosvig said in a University press release. “It’s an opportunity to contribute to an outstanding technology community and I look forward to working together to build upon Michigan’s already strong IT programs.”