The Ruthven building.
File Photo/Daily. Buy this photo.

The University of Michigan sent an email to the U-M campus community Wednesday evening seeking feedback on a draft policy on disruptions to University operations. The email follows an interruption at the 101st annual Honors Convocation Sunday afternoon when about 100 student protesters staged a demonstration condemning the University’s investment in companies profiting from Israel’s military campaign in Gaza.

In an email to the campus community Tuesday, University President Santa Ono wrote that the demonstration at the convocation was a violation of student code

“We all must understand that, while protest is valued and protected, disruptions are not,” Ono wrote. “One group’s right to protest does not supersede the right of others to participate in a joyous event. The protesters’ intrusion on one of the university’s most important academic traditions was unacceptable. It was not in keeping with our student code and our longstanding policy on freedom of speech and artistic expression.”

The draft policy would apply to students, staff, faculty and campus visitors, and would prohibit these groups from interfering with regular University operations, such as classes, performances, proceedings and exams. It would also prevent individuals without appropriate legal authority from interfering with movement around campus, including blocking pedestrians, bicycle lanes and vehicle traffic. Those found violating the guidelines — or aiding others in doing so — would be required to comply with lawful requests to leave U-M facilities. According to the draft, this policy is intended to protect others’ right to free speech from being infringed upon by outside interruptions, in keeping with the University’s stated values. 

“The University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (the University) respects, encourages, and defends free speech and free expressive activity as bedrock principles of our academic community,” the draft reads. “Those principles extend to engagement in the University community, including academic and social activities, gatherings, and celebrations. … No one has the right to infringe on the exercise of others’ speech and activities by disrupting the normal celebrations, activities, and operations of the University.”

According to the draft, students accused of a violation would receive written notice and may opt to discuss allegations with a University official. If necessary, formal hearings would be held, with disciplinary action ranging from a formal reprimand to expulsion. Any faculty, staff or other accused violators on U-M campus are subject to University policies on misconduct outlined in U-M Standard Practice Guide policies 201.96 and 201.12, respectively.

The survey will remain open until 11:59 p.m. on April 3.  

The American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan released a statement Thursday evening on X regarding the proposed policy, writing that the language within the policy concerns the organization.

“We are concerned that the University of Michigan’s proposed ‘Disruptive Activity Policy’ is unnecessary, vague, and over-broad,” ACLU said. “We will be providing our input to the University by April 3, which we will also make public.”

Update 3/28: This article has been updated to include a statement from the ACLU released Thursday evening.

Daily Staff Reporter Emma Spring can be reached at sprinemm@umich.edu