Jazz artist Joey Dosik came to the University of Michigan on a saxophone scholarship in 2004. Now, 14 years later, he’s making strides as a solo artist, recently earning a record deal and preparing for a re-release of his debut extended-play record Game Winner along with a gig on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!”

In 2017, Dosik signed with record label Secretly Canadian, which marked a momentous boost in his solo career. Now, Dosik is excitedly anticipating his performance on Kimmel’s late-night show on Feb. 13 as a prequel to his album’s re-release.

The beginnings of Dosik’s career had roots in his undergraduate experience, serving as a founding member of the Ann Arbor musical group My Dear Disco and collaborating with fellow University students of the funk group Vulfpeck.

Dosik opened for Vulfpeck while on tour with the group to promote their 2017 album Mr. Finish Line. During the tour, critics praised Dosik as an independent artist. Record producer Quincy Jones declared Dosik an “Artist to Watch.” 

In an interview with MLive, Dosik said he was very grateful to the internet age for helping him to share his music.

“Being an independent artist, I was able to begin to create an audience through the means of the Internet and what everyone was doing, which is running a record label off of our phones,” Dosik said.

He also spoke highly of his record label, Secretly Canadian, saying it shares mutual interests with him.

“When we chatted and got to know each other, I really got to recognize they are about the art and they get the music,” Dosik said. “Our relationship is one that will allow me to create, which is what I do best. It just seemed like a great fit.”

Dosik is already looking forward to a busy year. He has plans to tour Europe and perform at the South by Southwest music festival in Austin, Texas the spring. He also has his eyes set on some tour dates in the United States.

Dosik’s enthusiasm for the saxophone and for music in general was obvious even before his professional career took off. As a sophomore at the University in 2006, Dosik was interviewed by The Michigan Daily about his group My Dear Disco and spoke passionately about his love for music.

“The saxophone is a hip-a** instrument,” Dosik said.

Dosik expressed his interest in returning to Ann Arbor and the University, fondly recalling his time here. 

“My time in Ann Arbor was probably the most important (time) of my life,” he said. “I met so many people that I still collaborate and make music with, including the Vulfpeck guys. We got to come back to Ann Arbor and play at the Michigan Theater and that was one of the biggest thrills that I had in 2017.”