University of Michigan Board of Regents holds meeting in the Ruthven building with university president, Santa Ono sitting at the head of the table
Jenna Hickey/Daily. Buy this photo.

The University of Michigan Board of Regents met in University Hall at the Alexander G. Ruthven Building for a meeting Thursday afternoon to discuss their newly enacted free speech principles and review the administration’s work over the past few months. 

University President Santa Ono opened the meeting by addressing the University community about the Michigan football team’s recent national championship win and the expansion of generative artificial intelligence at the University.

“We are continuing to expand our efforts in generative AI specifically through our world-class faculty at the Center for Academic Innovation,” Ono said. “We are developing 35 online courses which will empower learners to build a central new skill.”

The main focus of the meeting was freedom of speech following the University’s new freedom of speech guidelines approved in January. University Provost Laurie McCauley announced the creation of a set of resources for faculty members who experience harassment due to their research or academic work. 

“In addition to the harm that threats and harassment cause our faculty as individuals, such behavior, often deliberately, has the potential to compromise our academic mission,” McCauley said. “The University of Michigan is committed to offering the breadth of its resources and support to faculty experiencing threats and/or harassment.”

During her student government report, Meera Herle, Central Student Government President, expressed her frustration with the University’s treatment of student activists in recent months.

“As a current student, I have recently been disappointed,” Herle said. “I feel that our institution is falling short in the last few months in making students feel safe to express disagreement with others and encouraging respectful and kind dialogue across differences. When students are being doxxed for expressing their identity and viewpoints and when peaceful protests are met with vitriol from entities outside of this university, I find myself frustrated by the administration’s lack of communication with and support for student leaders.”

Later in her address, Herle said while some students may feel uncomfortable due to the presence of protests, she wanted to make sure administration decisions are not based on the opinions of a minority of students.

“I found that students have difficulties distinguishing between what makes them feel uncomfortable and what makes them feel unsafe,” Herle said. “I think this is an area where education is needed to encourage our students to think independently.”

Domenico Grasso, chancellor of University of Michigan-Dearborn, announced that the Engineering Lab Building will be renamed after former Dean Anthony England who previously worked for NASA, including assisting in returning astronauts during the Apollo 13 mission.

“(England) has equally left his mark on the creative and innovative modes of education and research inside the building,” Grasso said. “I am proud to recognize Professor England’s dedication to U-M Dearborn — and to celebrate the many students’ lives he has helped transform — by naming our Engineering Lab Building in his honor.”

During the public comments portion of the meeting, several speakers urged the board to divest from companies profiting from Israel’s military campaign in Gaza.

Rackham student Nathan Kim spoke as a member of the TAHRIR Coalition, a group of student organizations dedicated to the liberation of Palestine. Kim said he was disappointed in the University’s continued investment in these companies.

“It is difficult for me to grasp how the University could knowingly make investments that work against its stated ideals,” Kim said. “I want to compel the Regents to act — I’m sure at the very least, all of you will agree to a transparency and accountability initiative.”

As the board and members of the U-M administration left the meeting, pro-Palestine protesters blocked the exit to the parking lot, prompting an increased police response and aggression toward student protestors.

Herle closed out her speech by calling on the University to support student activists by giving them a platform.

“It is my and many of my fellow students’ opinion that the University has a long way to go in meeting conflict and controversy with understanding and reason and refuting our opponents rather than refusing them a platform,” Herle said. “I hope we can all strive to better employ these pillars of productive dialogue.”

Daily Staff Reporter Matthew Shanbom can be reached at shanbom@umich.edu. Daily Staff Reporter Ellen Drejza contributed to the reporting of this article.