Pink alien doctor performing surgery on a patient laid on a table in front of them, holograms look on with interest.
This image is from the official trailer for “The Second Best Hospital in the Galaxy” distributed by Amazon Prime Video.

Set in a galaxy far, far away, “The Second Best Hospital in the Galaxy” follows a team of alien doctors as they tackle time loops, intergalactic parasites and everything in between. The show’s protagonists, Dr. Sleech (Stephanie Hsu, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”) and Dr. Klak (Keke Palmer, “Nope”) are continuously forced to navigate conflicts in all aspects of their lives in their zany fashion. 

The opening episode details a typical day at the hospital. Sleech and Klak perform an alien surgery before being assigned to a special case, a patient who has a parasitic worm that feeds on the cortisol in her brain. This anxiety-eating parasite, affectionately named Larvin (Phil LaMarr, “Pulp Fiction”), is the major antagonist of this season. After successfully containing Larvin, Sleech and Klak decide to keep him for experimentation as a potential cure for anxiety. 

Despite Sleech and Klak’s experiments on Larvin being the primary storyline of the show, “The Second Best Hospital in the Galaxy” offers no shortage of wacky subplots. In true medical drama fashion, every episode involves an absurd case that the doctors must tackle on top of their personal conflicts. What is most refreshing, however, is the marrying of sci-fi elements with the show’s medical storyline. Patients are afflicted with time loop sickness or involved in black hole accidents, which keeps viewers excited to see what happens next. 

In addition to the show’s compelling premise, the cast is full of likable characters with charming dynamics. Dr. Sleech and Dr. Klak are best friends who perfectly complement each other’s personalities. Dr. Klak is a detail-oriented perfectionist while Dr. Sleech is a confident risk taker. Regardless of their differences, the pair works well together as surgeons and pals. Working alongside Sleech and Klak is a unique team of alien medical professionals, such as the resident empath Dr. Plowp (Kieran Culkin, “Succession”) and the cynical Nurse Tup (Natasha Lyonne, “Slums of Beverly Hills”). Each character has a unique set of abilities that serve various purposes in the story. Dr. Plowp can feel the emotions of others and Nurse Tup can turn invisible. These powers generate conflict and serve as a running gag throughout the season, illustrating how the show implements sci-fi elements in its storytelling.

It’s difficult not to be attached to these characters, which primarily stems from how realistic and relatable they are. Their decisions may not always be correct, but they make sense based on their individual personality and character arc. Viewers can relate to Klak’s struggles with anxiety and understand her choice to become a host for Larvin, even though this decision eventually causes the apocalypse. On the other hand, viewers understand why Sleech is upset with Klak for this very action. The conflict is naturally driven and the conclusions feel satisfying. 

Although the series is presented as a comedy, there are times when the jokes don’t land. In the first half of the season, viewers are thrust into a world filled with unfamiliar species and societies. In an attempt to bridge the gap between fiction and reality, the show often falls back on universal comedy: sex jokes. The second episode centers around Dr. Sleech and Dr. Plowp treating a sex bomb on the verge of a deadly orgasm, and the fourth episode focuses on a sexually transmitted infection spreading around the hospital. Some viewers may enjoy the major focus on sex, but at times the jokes feel like the writers beating a dead alien horse.

Where the show shines, however, is during its most heartfelt moments. The seventh episode features Plowp dealing with the aftermath of his breakup with Sleech, with whom he had a sweet but short-lived relationship. During the episode, Plowp has a conversation with the vending machine restocker Matt (Andrew Dismukes, “Saturday Night Live”) about his emotions, which ends with them both in tears but closer than before. In episode eight, after Larvin escapes and the apocalypse begins, Klak and Sleech have an explosive argument about their choices throughout the series. The moment was earned after being built up for the entire season and culminates in the friends working out their differences and saving the galaxy (and their medical licenses) from certain doom. The final episode leaves viewers with closure but sets up questions about Sleech’s past to be answered in future seasons. 

“The Second Best Hospital in the Galaxy” definitely isn’t for everyone. The raunchy humor can be hit or miss and the mature themes won’t be received positively by every viewer. At its core, however, “The Second Best Hospital in the Galaxy” is filled with heart. Hopefully, future seasons focus their efforts on fleshing out established characters and diving deeper into the bizarre galaxy it takes place. If you love goofy alien doctors finding their footing in the galaxy, maybe give this show a try.     

Daily Arts Contributor Morgan Sieradski can be reached at kmsier@umich.edu.