Taylor Woodson dribbles the basketball down the side of the court
Lila Turner/Daily. Buy this photo.

The Michigan women’s basketball team is losing a key returner. Freshman forward Taylor Woodson entered the transfer portal Thursday afternoon, a Michigan spokesperson confirmed to The Michigan Daily. 

Woodson joined the Wolverines as a four-star recruit and was ranked No. 59 in her class by ESPN. Hailing from Minnetonka, Minnesota, Woodson had a dominant high school career. She earned all-state honors and was a part of two state championship teams. 

During her freshman year, Woodson provided important minutes off the bench, appearing in 32 of Michigan’s 34 games. She was often the first player to be subbed in the final weeks of the season, averaging 8.9 minutes per game, expanding her role as the season progressed and coming into form in the latter half of the year. Against Wisconsin on Jan. 13, Woodson played 20 minutes and grabbed three steals — both season highs. 

And while Woodson’s offensive production doesn’t jump off the page — she averaged 1.9 points per game — Woodson’s defensive abilities made her an asset for the Wolverines. In Michigan’s Big Ten Tournament semifinal matchup against then-No. 3 Iowa on March 9, Woodson guarded back-to-back Naismith Player of the Year Caitlin Clark.

Junior guard Laila Phelia and graduate guard Elissa Brett typically start the Wolverines’ games with the toughest defensive assignment, but Woodson’s ability to reprieve them proved valuable as the season went on. And while Michigan lost that matchup, its confidence in Woodson grew. 

With senior forwards Cameron Williams and Elise Stuck in the transfer portal alongside graduate forward Taylor Williams, Woodson was poised to see an even larger role for the Wolverines in the upcoming season. The forward position was already sparse for Michigan, and the potential departure of Woodson makes that role lack even more depth.