Michigan men’s tennis player Bjorn Swenson returns the ball.
Lila Turner/Daily. Buy this photo.

It only took the Michigan men’s tennis team about 30 minutes to secure the first point of the match.

Purdue walked into Ann Arbor winless on the road, losing all seven matches. The Wolverines were eager to extend the Boilermakers’ streak. If doubles play was any indication as to what was ahead, Michigan was in the driver’s seat.

As it turned out, the doubles play created an early spark with the Wolverines (12-10 overall, 6-0 Big Ten) cruising to a 4-0 sweep over Purdue (6-12, 1-4).

The No. 23 doubles pair of seniors Gavin Young and Jacob Bickersteth, got the show started for Michigan. The Wolverines’ top duo needed little time to take care of Purdue, winning 6-2. Soon after, Michigan’s second pair, sophomore Bjorn Swenson and freshman Mert Oral, followed suit, also winning 6-2. After dropping the doubles point in their previous match, the Wolverines battled to change the course, opening singles play with a 1-0 lead.

Riding the momentum from doubles, only three of the six singles courts needed to complete their matches before Michigan clinched the victory. The Wolverines’ energy level was high throughout the match and it paid off.

Swenson was at the forefront of this display. Swenson and Oral looked comfortable in their doubles win, and Swenson carried this comfort over to his singles match, in large part due to his strong attitude.

“I think my energy was big for sure,” Swenson said. “Especially because this was our first match outside, and so we’re kind of feeling it out a little bit. We needed to make sure the energy was there.”

There never looked to be a moment too big for Swenson. He consistently showed off his vocal leadership as he fired up himself, his teammates, and the fans. It wasn’t always smooth sailing, though. After taking a commanding 4-2 lead in the first set, Purdue’s Henrik Villanger battled back, knotting the match at four games apiece. Swenson locked right back in, grabbing the next two games to win the opening set. Villanger never went away, however, as the second set was squared at five before the match was called, with the Wolverines taking the fourth point. 

“I was just telling myself, time to respond,” Swenson said. “Let’s go, right here.” 

Swenson was a significant part of Michigan’s success, but it was a collective effort. Bickersteth was in control of both of his matches, as he was the first player off the court in both singles and doubles play. Following the 6-2 victory in his doubles match, he then took care of Boilermakers freshman Soham Purohit, 6-2, 6-3. 

Bickersteth made way for sophomore Nicholas Steiglehner and junior Patorn Hanchaikul, who wrapped it up for the day. Steiglehner dug himself into an uphill battle as he went down early in the first set, looking to use his experience to his advantage as he navigated a way out of the hole. About an hour later, it was clear he had done just this, emerging victories, 7-5, 6-2. 

Hanchaikul comfortably took the first set, 6-3. But his opponent, Juan David Velasquez, made him work for the second set. Nevertheless, Hanchaikul got it done, giving Michigan the victory after he won the second set, 7-5.

Although the Wolverines won the doubles point in convincing fashion, the match was still far from over at the time. However, they were aware of this and they never took their foot off the gas pedal.

“It’s just about our resilience,” Michigan coach Sean Maymi said. “The guys are being pretty resilient. We have played some really good competition, but every day in practice, the players come out working to get better.”

Sparked by strong doubles play in their first outdoor match, the Wolverines took care of business against Purdue for their sixth straight victory.