The Michigan men's basketball team claps on the sideline after their teammate scores a basketb
Lila Turner/Daily. Buy this photo.

Assembling his first roster with the Michigan men’s basketball team, coach Dusty May officially dipped his toes in the transfer portal, receiving a commitment from Rubin Jones on Friday evening.

The former North Texas guard announced via X that he will join the Wolverines as a graduate student for this upcoming season, using his additional year of eligibility.

This past season for the Mean Green, Jones averaged 12.1 points per game across 23 games. Although hampered by a hamstring injury, Jones was a valuable scorer — particularly from deep where he shot over 40% — when on the court.

The three-star transfer, according to 247, provides depth to Michigan’s guard corps, and roster as a whole, which is in need of shaping. Jones isn’t a direct replacement for now-Kansas State guard Dug McDaniel at the ‘1’, but provides scoring volume to help soften the blow of losing McDaniel.

The Wolverines still have several scholarship spots to fill ahead of May’s first season. With the commitment of Jones and high school recruit Justin Pippen both occurring Friday, May appears eager to fill out his roster soon.

In particular, the Wolverines appear ready to dive into the portal — already finding valuable guard depth in Jones.