New Michigan new men’s basketball coach Dusty May smiles and talks into a microphone at the podium.
Georgia McKay/Daily. Buy this photo.

The Michigan men’s basketball team has acquired yet another piece through the transfer portal. 

On Monday, the Wolverines picked up former-Ohio State sophomore guard Roddy Gayle Jr., their fourth addition via the transfer portal in as many days. The news was first reported by Joe Tipton of On3Sports.

Throughout Gayle’s time with the Buckeyes, his impact and growth has been palpable. After a freshman campaign in which he started 11 of the 35 games and averaged 4.6 points and 1.6 rebounds, he made a significant leap for year two.

In Gayle’s sophomore year with the Buckeyes, he took his game to the next level and had an immediate impact, starting in 35 of Ohio State’s 36 contests while averaging 13.5 points per game. That double digit figure slotted Gayle as the Buckeyes’ third-highest scorer. In addition to the impressive scoring, Gayle also averaged 4.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game. 

For a team lacking depth in its frontcourt, Gayle’s impact is even more critical. At Ohio State, not only did he serve as a key contributor on the statsheets, but he also proved he can maintain that high level while playing significant minutes. Gayle averaged 30.9 minutes per game, good for second-most among the Buckeyes. 

In March when the Wolverines traveled to Columbus to take on Ohio State, Gayle put up 15 points, clearly a thorn in Michigan’s back. Gayle was part of the reason the Wolverines floundered in that matchup, but now he’s a weapon at Michigan’s disposal.