Madeline Hinkley/Daily. Buy this photo.

For March Madness in 2021, The Michigan Daily has paired up with more than 20 collegiate newspapers across the country to participate in College Media Madness, a fundraising opportunity for student journalism. The Daily’s Sports section covers every single varsity sport at the University of Michigan. In order to cover 29 varsity sports teams all across the country while maintaining a full-time student status at the University, the Sports section relies on donations to The Daily. Read here for further information on the state of The Daily and College Media Madness and please consider donating here to support our newsroom. 

Read the latest coverage of March Madness here:

March 23 — Brooks keys Wolverines’ win over LSU

Eli Brooks stepped onto the court and nailed a three. Over and over again the senior guard proved his metal, keeping Michigan in the game and propelling them to a win.

March 23 — Michigan to face 3rd-seeded Tennessee in round of 32

The Wolverines will face 3-seed Tennessee in the round of 32 with hopes of advancing to the Sweet Sixteen for the first time in program history. Read everything you need to know here.

March 23 — Wolverines manage to withstand runs in back-and-forth affair

The men’s basketball team’s tight contest with LSU was a game of runs up until the last four minutes. And the Wolverines were able to hold down the potent Tiger offense to hang in until the end.

March 23 — Jacob Cohen: The NCAA’s excuses don’t add up

The NCAA’s explanations and excuses for the discrepancies between the men’s and women’s tournaments don’t make sense and aren’t viable.

March 22 — Michigan survives LSU, punches ticket to Sweet Sixteen

Michigan survived a tight battle with 8-seeded LSU to make it to the fourth Sweet Sixteen in a row.

March 21 — Michigan blows past Florida Gulf Coast, 87-66

With strong 3-point shooting and a series of 8-0 runs, the Michigan women’s basketball team blew past Florida Gulf Coast, 87-66, in it’s opening game of the tournament. 

March 21 — Brown’s third quarter performance propels Michigan to win

Coming out of the locker room, Leigha Brown found her rhythm, knocking down 19 points in the third quarter’s of Michigan’s 87-66 tournament-opening victory over No. 11 Florida Gulf Coast. 

March 21 — Michigan flips the script on Florida Gulf Coast with impressive 3-point performance

Against Florida Gulf Coast, who leads the country in 3-point field goal attempts, the Wolverines shot more than 40% from beyond the arc, holding the Eagles to 9-for-29. 

March 21 — Wagner ready for tough defensive matchup vs. LSU

On Monday night, the Michigan men’s basketball team will take on a Louisiana State squad that ranks fifth in the nation in scoring. While the game will likely be a high-scoring battle, Michigan coach Juwan Howard is focused on the team’s defensive efforts, particularly how sophomore wing Franz Wagner can hold the Tigers back. 

March 21 — In Michigan-LSU, frontcourt chess-match set to take centerstage

In Monday’s game, freshman center Hunter Dickinson will pose a a hefty mismatch for an undersized LSU frontcourt. The Tigers hope to quell him with 6-foot-7 forward Darius Days. Dickinson has other plans. 

March 21 — SportsMonday Column: Michigan says it’s adjusted without Isaiah Livers. Whether they’re right will determine when the season ends.

After one of the most storied seasons in Michigan basketball history, Isaiah Livers will be absent in the final match-ups. Whether or not the Wolverines are able to adapt will make all the difference.

March 21 — Abbie Telgenhof: The NCAA Tournament’s inequality shows that we can’t stop caring

On Thursday and Friday, the obvious discrepancies between the amenities given to the men and the women in the NCAA Tournament came to light. The weight room, the gift bags, the food and even the COVID-19 testing were all different, and obviously less-than. Now, as both tournaments are under way, we can’t forget about these incidents. 

March 20 — Howard tests out extended rotation in blowout win

Following forward Isaiah Livers’ injury, Juwan Howard used the first game of the NCAA Tournament to test out an extended lineup. Featuring freshmen Zeb Jackson and Terrance Williams, who played a combined 19 minutes, the pair’s contributions to the court will be critical to future success.

March 20 — Smith thrives in first NCAA Tournament game of career

Guard Mike Smith spent four years watching the NCAA Tournament on his couch. Finally in the Big Dance, he powered the Wolverines past Texas Southern with 18 points, five assists and four rebounds.

March 20 — Michigan finishes off Texas Southern to advance to Round of 32

The men’s basketball team cruised past an outmatched Texas Southern team, coming out aggressive and not letting up.

March 19 — How a summer transformation geared Hunter Dickinson for March

As the NCAA Tournament looms for the men’s basketball team, Hunter Dickinson is ready. And it’s all because of his summer transformation. The workouts, the conditioning and the work ethic primed Dickinson to be the monster he is on the court.

March 19 — Michigan’s path to tournament success

The Michigan women’s basketball team has a chance to make history one more time this season. In its way stands Florida Gulf Coast and Tennessee. What needs to happen for the Wolverines to end their season with history?

March 18 — Dickinson adjusting to unconventional NCAA Tournament

On Monday, freshman center Hunter Dickinson posted a photo of his breakfast: a measly pile of scrambled eggs, three slices of bacon and a seemingly lukewarm batch of breakfast potatoes. The now-infamous photo shows a glimpse of what life inside the NCAA Bubble is like, and how Dickinson and the rest of the team need to “embrace the suck,” as coach Juwan Howard put it.

March 18 — Behind the scenes, scout team ignites Wolverines

The day before every game, Michigan’s scout team emulates the opponent that the Wolverines are set to play. On the process, players and coaches that make up the scout team and how it is crucial to the success of putting Michigan in the position it is.

March 18 — College Basketball Players voice frustrations before NCAA Tournament

Wednesday, three days before it would play its first game, Michigan’s recently-injured star Isaiah Livers went to Twitter to post “I am #NotNCAAProperty.” Among other of the nation’s top stars, Livers and company voice their frustrations over a system that profits off the backs of amateur athletes and their fight for name, image and likeness. 

March 16 — What to watch for: Michigan vs. Florida Gulf Coast 

In its first matchup of the tournament, 6-seed Michigan women’s basketball faces off against 11-seed Florida Gulf Coast. The Wolverines will face an opponent that averages 11.7 3-pointers a game and plays five guards, leaving the room open for junior forward Naz Hillmon to dominate. Still, 3-point defense has been an achilles heel for Michigan. So, what will decide the matchup?

March 15 — Daily beat writers predict Michigan’s NCAA Tournament fate 

The men’s basketball team comes into the postseason looking as mortal as it has all season. A 1-seed, Michigan cruised to its first Big Ten Regular Season Championship, but now they go into the postseason without its most crucial player, Isaiah Livers. How does that change the outlook?

March 15 — Michigan earns first No. 6 seed in program history 

This has been a season of firsts and bests for the Michigan women’s basketball team. A school record 50 points from Naz Hillmon and a highest-ever ranking in the AP Poll were joined with the highest seed the Wolverines have ever had for the NCAA Tournament. 

March 14 — SportsMonday: The NCAA Tournament starts in four days. That makes no sense.

Kansas dropped out of the Big 12 Tournament. Virginia dropped out of the ACC Tournament. With days to spare before the NCAA Tournament starts, the ramifications could be huge. Not to mention that COVID-19 often takes days to show up on tests. All this leads to the question: Why not postpone it?

March 12 — On the Michigan sideline, Jaaron Simmons finds a home 

A transfer player on the 2018 Final Four run, Jaaron Simmons joined the coaching staff as a graduate assistant. Now, he’s in his second season as the video analyst and is coming into his own on the sideline.

March 8 — Through Saddi Washington, Michigan bridges its past to its future

The lone holdover from the John Beilein era, Saddi Washington stayed at Michigan to help see it through. It’s a part of who he is, from watching over former players as they transition to the pros and overseas leagues to helping his students with academics. 

** This list will be updated as the tournament progresses. 

The COVID-19 pandemic has thrown challenges at all of us — including The Michigan Daily — but that hasn’t stopped our staff. We’re committed to reporting on the issues that matter most to the community where we live, learn and work. Your donations keep our journalism free and independent. You can support our work here.

To get the best stories from The Michigan Daily delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here and our weekly newsletter here.