Due to the uncertainty surrounding the 2020-21 college hockey season, the Big Ten decided to release the schedule in two portions. The first chunk, which ran through Dec. 9 for Michigan, was released in November, but the second chunk remained unknown until Friday.

Friday, the second portion of the Wolverines’ schedule, consisting of 18 games, was finally released. 

Michigan will restart play on Jan. 8 and 9 with a home-and-home series against Michigan State, the first games of the season between the two teams. The Jan. 8 start date should allow the Wolverines’ three players at World Juniors — freshman forwards Matty Beniers and Brendan Brisson and sophomore defenseman Cam York — to return to the team in time for their first game, since the tournament ends on Jan. 5.

In Michigan’s two games without Beniers, Brisson and York, along with freshman forward Thomas Bordeleau and sophomore forward Johnny Beecher — who were cut from the U.S. team due to a positive COVID-19 test — the Wolverines struggled to score. They got swept by now-No. 1 Minnesota and potted only one goal in the two games. Michigan will get another crack at the Golden Gophers at full strength on Mar. 6 and 7.

Following a 4-0 start to the season in which the Wolverines seemed to be exceeding their preseason hype, they lost five of their next six games, leading to questions about their ability to defend and stay out of the penalty box. But Michigan will have the chance to correct those flaws against the Spartans, as well as the following weekend against Ohio State, two teams that have a combined five wins in 15 games so far this season.

If the Wolverines can return to their early-season form, they will have a strong chance at a high seed in the Big Ten tournament and the potential for a deep NCAA tournament run. But if they can’t, these final 18 games will be full of disappointment and what-ifs.

The remainder of Michigan’s schedule is listed below.

Jan. 8 vs. Michigan State

Jan. 9 @ Michigan State

Jan. 15 and 16 vs. Ohio State

Jan. 21 and 22 @ Notre Dame

Feb. 3 and 4 vs. Penn State

Feb. 9 vs. Michigan State

Feb. 13 and 14 vs. Wisconsin

Feb. 19 and 20 @ Ohio State

Feb. 26 and 27 vs. Arizona State

Mar. 5 and 6 @ Minnesota

Mar. 10 @ Michigan State