Michigan women’s gymnast Jenna Mulligan flips backwards on the beam.
Lila Turner/Daily. Buy this photo.

After a season filled with near misses, the Michigan women’s gymnastics team once again came up short.

On an emotional Senior Night, the tenth-ranked Wolverines (10-6 overall, 9-1 Big Ten) were unable to avenge last year’s NCAA Tournament loss. They fell to No. 9 Denver (19-2), 197.750-197.550, as inconsistencies sidelined Michigan in a stymieing match for the Wolverines.

It was a meet marked by the dichotomy between the crowd celebrating the seven seniors on the team and the mounting frustration as Michigan came up short again and again throughout the meet.

“We have not had a bad meet this entire year but we also have not had that meet that we need (in order) to show what we can do for the postseason,” Wolverines coach Bev Plocki said.

For a program that has racked up the accolades in recent years — a national championship in 2021 and back-to-back Big Ten championships in 2022 and 2023 — it’s been especially frustrating to not live up to their potential. And on Senior Night, an emotional day for a senior-laden team, Michigan wasn’t able to ride those emotions to victory.

On their first rotation, the Wolverines scored 49.250 on vault. The rotation was highlighted by senior Reyna Guggino’s score of 9.95, where she stuck the landing amid excited cheers from her teammates. But Michigan’s only other score above 9.85 came from graduate Gabby Wilson, who received a 9.875. Their lowest score was freshman Ava Jordan’s 9.775. Meanwhile, Denver lived up to its No. 5 ranking on bars, scoring 49.425 and pulling ahead of the Wolverines.

Their rotation on bars continued in the same vein, with a disappointing team score of 49.100. Graduate Sierra Brooks matched her season high on bars with a 9.95, but a fall from fifth-year McCaleigh Marr in the sixth spot forced Michigan to count senior Carly Bauman’s 9.725. The Pioneers scored 49.300 on vault, dropping the Wolverines further behind, now down 0.375 points as inconsistencies hampered their success.

“We have some things to clean up on vault and bars,” Wilson said. “We know that we can do better.”

Moving on from the first two events, Michigan had an excellent rotation on beam, earning its second-highest beam score of the season with a 49.475 rebound. The highlight of the rotation was Brooks’ routine — she made it look effortless and stuck her dismount for a score of 9.95. A 9.925 from Bauman, matching 9.875s from Wilson and junior Jacey Vore, and a 9.85 from Guggino rounded out the counting scores. However, Denver scored a 49.550 on their floor rotation to not only stay ahead, but extend their lead.

Anticipation mounted throughout Crisler Center as the Wolverines moved to the floor, which has been their best, most consistent event this season. Michigan ranks No. 5 in the country in floor, their highest rotational ranking. In addition to being their final chance to gain ground on the Pioneers, it was clear that fans saw the floor rotation as a final chance to salute the seniors on the team. Loud cheers rang out for each of the seniors as they took the floor.

Seniors Bauman, Jenna Mulligan, and Guggino started Michigan off with scores of 9.925, 9.9, and 9.925, respectively. By the time Brooks took the floor, the cheers were deafening, and she rewarded fans with a stellar routine scored at 9.975.

It was Wilson, though, who truly delivered. Following on the heels of Brooks’ 9.975, Wilson delivered a perfect 10 on her floor routine.

“She’s amazing,” Plocki said. “Very well deserved.”

Despite Michigan scoring 49.725 on floor, the Pioneers held on to win the match with a 49.475 on beam, handing the Wolverines their sixth loss of the season.

Once again, Michigan was unable to live up to its enormous potential. Plocki believes that the key to achieving that potential is confidence.

“They just need to believe in themselves,” Plocki said. “I am a huge Lloyd Carr fan. And he spoke to our team a number of years ago. … He said, ‘The definition of confidence is knowing the outcome before you begin.’ And that is what this team needs to believe. They need to know they are going to go out there and hit every routine and they need to know that before they ever walk onto the floor.”

The senior tributes that played across Crisler Center’s Jumbotron postgame served as a reminder that these gymnasts know how to win. But as Plocki alluded, this year’s Wolverines have struggled to compete as if they know victory is their predestined outcome. Instead, they’ve become a team defined by almosts.

Now, they’re running out of time to get it right, and soon enough a performance that’s almost their best may mean the end of their season.