Kris Jenkins throws his arms up in celebration.
Kate Hua/Daily. Buy this photo.

DETROIT — Just like his father 23 years ago, Kris Jenkins got his moment at the NFL Draft on Friday.

With the No. 49 overall pick in the second round, the TEAM selected the defensive tackle after four years and a national championship with the Michigan football team. Jenkins was the second Wolverine selected and the seventh interior defensive lineman. 

“You’re gonna get all of me,” Jenkins said March 22 at Michigan Pro Day. “You’re gonna get whatever you need from me — whatever you need from me, I’ll do it. … I love to compete, I’m a competitive guy, but I love to play the game.”

With a penchant for having fun on the field, Jenkins constantly displayed that love for the game during his time with the Wolverines. He stepped up as a leader on the defensive line, guiding the unit as it became one of the best defensive fronts in the country during Michigan’s undefeated 2024 season. His amusement particularly shone through when he intercepted his first career pass Sept. 16 against Bowling Green before coming up just short of returning it for a touchdown.

An Olney, Md. native and Our Lady Good Counsel High School alum, Jenkins first earned his starting spot with the Wolverines during his junior season. That year, he led all Michigan defensive linemen with 54 tackles while recording 3.5 tackles for loss. 

Though he could have declared for the Draft after that season, he instead chose to return for his senior year. During his fourth and final season, he tallied 37 tackles and 4.5 tackles for loss, plus 2.5 sacks. While he didn’t have many sacks — instead primarily focused on stopping the run — one of them came in the Rose Bowl against Alabama as the Wolverines’ front seven wreaked havoc on the Crimson Tide’s backfield. 

Jenkins primarily translates as a run stopper at the next level, much like he was in college. With the Bengals, he’ll get to play alongside former Michigan teammates in cornerback DJ Turner II, safety Dax Hill, running back Chris Evans and punter Brad Robbins. He’ll also extend the Jenkins-family legacy in the NFL, as his dad played 10 years at defensive tackle with the Carolina Panthers and New York Jets and garnered four All-Pro selections. 

Now, Jenkins will get to carve his own path in the pros.