Ruby Klawans/Daily. Buy this photo.

OMAHA, Neb. — Entering the Big Ten Tournament, graduate right fielder Stephen Hrustich was the Michigan baseball team’s most reliable hitter. This made his disappearance from the stat sheet in the Wolverines’ first two games of the tournament all the more mystifying.

In Michigan’s first two games of the tournament, Hrustich put up uncharacteristic performances, ending Thursday night 0-7 with four strikeouts to his name through the two games. The normally-disciplined Hrustich couldn’t find his swing on the biggest stage of the season.

But in the Friday night elimination game against Illinois, Hrustich figured it out. He collected two hits in his four at-bats, breaking his hitless streak in the tournament and helping to wiggle the Wolverines out of elimination. 

Whether the fear of a premature end to his collegiate career scared him into producing or he simply made adjustments, Hrustich once again came to play when facing elimination Saturday against Penn State. This time, though, with the season on the line, it wasn’t enough to save his team.

“I think that honestly, I’ve had the time of my life here in this last year playing baseball with these guys,” Hrustich said.

But entering the tournament rematch, Hrustich and Michigan’s season was still very much alive. With everything to lose, the Wolverines looked to none other than their most consistent hitter.

Hrustich collected his first hit of the game in the third inning. On the first pitch he saw, he pushed the ball into left field and jogged to first base. Michigan couldn’t bring him across to score, but the message was sent: Friday’s performance was not a fluke, Hrustich was back.

He continued to loudly announce his presence in his next at-bat. Again, on the first pitch he saw, Hrustich turned on a ball and launched it off the yellow cap on the wall, missing a home run by mere inches. Cruising into second with a double, Hrustich turned toward his dugout and did the team’s signature celebration, willing the teammates that he spent his final season with to bring him across to score.

“I’m forever grateful to wear the ‘Block M’ and represent the University of Michigan,” Hrustich said. “And I wouldn’t change it for the world.”

A graduate transfer from Northwestern, Hrustich was one of many new faces on Michigan’s 2024 roster. But his experience and passion brought about an invaluable resource to the otherwise-young squad. Regardless of the locker room presence Hrustich provided, his bat was the reason Wolverines coach Tracy Smith fought to bring him to Ann Arbor.

As Hrustich stepped to the plate for his fourth at-bat of the day, Michigan and the Nittany Lions were deadlocked at three apiece. On a curveball left over the heart of the plate, Hrustich pulled the ball in the left-field corner where it jostled around, allowing a run to score and Hrustich to pull into third base with a triple. The tie had been broken, and Hrustich was just a home run away from the cycle.

Hrustich’s final at-bat came in the bottom of the 10th inning with two outs and his squad down by one run — it was a dream scenario. A home run would complete the cycle and tie the game up with just one swing. 

On a 1-1 count, Hrustich took a breath and dug his back foot into the batter’s box. Bent slightly at the waist and bat cocked over his back shoulder, he waited on the pitch from Penn State left-hander Anthony Steele. 

The ball crossed the plate right in Hrustich’s wheelhouse, and he put a home run swing onto it. As the ball sailed towards center field, the chances of the Wolverines’ season extending another batter dwindled. And as the ball entered the center fielders glove, it was all over.

In a game where it seemed Hrustich could do no wrong, he had made the final out — not just of the game, but of the season itself. One person on every team, except for the one that wins it all, has to make the final out of the season. 

And despite his late offensive surge, the onus of ending the 2024 season landed on Hrustich.