The Michigan baseball team leans over the dugout on a sunny day.
Sarah Boeke/Daily. Buy this photo.

As the Michigan baseball team’s coach Tracy Smith enters his second season under the helm, his team’s identity is in his hands. With 27 new faces on the roster this season, Smith no longer feels the presence of the previous administration. And with a coaching staff and roster that is mostly composed of players he brought in, Smith begins the 2024 season with an excess of talent and a lot of inexperience. 

The 4-8 Wolverines have started the season with the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. But a bright spot has been their key returning players and experienced transfers. Sophomore right-hander Mitch Voit received valuable second-string experience last season for the Wolverines and graduate infielder Kyle Dernedde — an Oregon State transfer — brings leadership to the Michigan dugout. But experience with the game does not necessarily translate to success with the Wolverines. And they continue to feel the growing pains of a fresh roster. 

Ahead of Michigan’s first home game against Oakland, The Michigan Daily breaks down the 2024 baseball roster. 

Pitchers

In just 12 games, Smith has employed 17 pitchers. Smith has yet to find one player that he can rely on, instead rotating through the bullpen at a break-neck speed.

Before the 2024 season, there was lots of excitement surrounding Voit. He ended the season on the All Big Ten Freshman Team after expertly relieving former right-hander Connor O’Halloran. Voit is now finding his footing as a starter on the mound and is the only pitcher to throw a full nine innings this season, doing so in the Wolverines 4-3 win over UCLA. Voit has also allowed just 16 hits in the 18 innings he’s been on the mound, growing consistency in his pitching. 

Right-hander Dylan Vigue on the other hand hasn’t lived up to preseason expectations. Vigue started the season on the mound for Michigan against Western Michigan and recorded two strikeouts. But this initial momentum didn’t last long as he pitched a short three innings against Arkansas nine days later, allowing six walks and three earned runs. 

Due to quick player turnover, a consistent relief pitcher has yet to be established. But one contender for the position is senior right-hander Chase Allen. Allen has pitched in five games for a total of 14 innings. He has proven to be a dependable presence, allowing just seven earned runs this season. As younger players and transfers continue to find their footing on the mound, Allen has the opportunity to bring experience and close out his collegiate career with Michigan on a high note while the rest of his unit gets organized. 

Catchers

Another transfer that has found his place on the roster is junior catcher Will Rogers. Recruited by Smith when he coached at Arizona State, Rogers spent two years with the Sun Devils before making the decision to follow Smith up north. He has been consistent at the position, transitioning well through the excessive amounts of pitchers that Smith has utilized. At the plate, Rogers has scored five runs so far and holds a .138 batting average.

With the combination of consistent catching, a developing bat and a well-established relationship with Smith, Rogers will likely be a beacon of experience among a young Michigan roster. 

First Base

When Voit is not on the mound, the Wolverines look to him to be an anchor for them at first base. Voit has helped Michigan end innings more than once with aggressive foul ball catches and is responsible for 82 put-outs this season. His presence at first has solidified the Wolverines’ infield defense, and his experience both on the mound and at the plate showcase his well-rounded contributions.

But when Voit is pitching, the Wolverines have had another player take his spot near the dugout: senior infielder Dylan Stanton. Stanton held the position when Voit pitched a complete game against the Bruins and had 10 put-outs in that matchup, folding well into the established infield defense. Voit will always have a home at first base, but as he continues to solidify his position on the mound, Stanton will step up in his place. 

Middle Infield

The Wolverines’ middle infield has been led by graduate infielder Mack Timbrook at second base and graduate infielder Kyle Dernedde at shortstop. The connections throughout the infield have generated 15 double plays, helping to support the inexperienced mound and inconsistent offense. 

At shortstop, Dernedde employs aggressive play, instantly making his presence known to the opponent’s offense. Controlling the center infield, Dernedde often expands his reach into the outfield by making impressive grabs that catch hitters off guard and is responsible for 20 put-outs and 31 assists. Also a common face at the plate for the Wolverines, Dernedde’s speed and sneaky base running has helped create considerable scoring opportunities. As a transfer, Dernedde has fit into the Michigan dynamic effortlessly, championing the connected infield and becoming a strong source of leadership both on and off the diamond. 

Timbrook has complemented Dernedde’s aggressiveness and is responsible for 39 assists and 21 put-outs this season. He has been integral to the success of double plays and contributed 10 out of the 15 on the season.

Michigan has allowed 20 stolen bases this season and has caught opponents six times. The consistent presence in the infield comes from talented and confident players, which Dernedde and Timbrook have shown themselves to be for the Wolverines. 

Third Base

To round out the infield, Michigan looks to another transfer in junior infielder Cole Caruso. Caruso adds a patient and calming presence, making necessary plays and avoiding sloppy errors. Caruso has 13 assists and two double plays on the season so far.

Caruso has started at the position for all 12 games, cementing himself as a reliable member of the infield. While Caruso may not have the aggressive or flashy play of Dernedde or Voit, he adds a dependability to the lineup with space to grow. 

Outfield

The outfield has been a quiet but mighty presence in the first 12 matchups against aggressive opponents. Sophomore outfielder Jonathan Kim has started in center field for all 12 of the games. Kim was on the All-Big Ten Freshman Team last season and has been a player that Smith looks to for some of the offensive firepower that Michigan is currently lacking. Kim is still finding his place in the lineup, but has been most effective in the cleanup position, recording two home-runs and a .279 batting average. While Kim may have a less obvious presence in the outfield than he does at the plate, he has performed well with 32 put-outs on the season

In left field is graduate outfielder Stephen Hurstich. The transfer spent four seasons with Northwestern before joining the Wolverines. His position has seen slightly less action so far, but he has been reliable with 19 put-outs and one assist so far this season. Hurstich also spends time at the plate and has scored seven runs for Michigan, but is not as explosive as Smith would hope, holding just a .150 batting average.

At right field the Wolverines have sophomore outfielder Greg Pace Jr. as one of the few returning members of the 2023 squad. Besides playing in the outfield, Pace often bats in the latter end of the lineup as well as serving some time on the mound. While Pace has not been super impactful at either of these spots, he has been more successful in the outfield with 14 put-outs and two assists on the season.

While the outfield has not seen as many impressive outs as the infield, it has by no means been the weak link on defense. Michigan has faced imposing competition in the preseason with rosters stacked with powerful bats, and the outfield has held its own.

Designated Hitter

The designated hitter position has been a spot that the Wolverines have not utilized much so far this season, using in a designated hitter in just nine games so far. This is largely due to the number of athletes on the team that play on both sides of the ball, with players such as Voit taking a spot both on the mound and on the plate.

But when Smith does employ a designated hitter, he looks to freshman infielder Colin Priest and freshman outfielder Bradley Navarro. Both are talented base runners and often get the team into competitive scoring positions. Navvarro has stolen one base in the nine games that he has appeared in and scored two runs on four hits. Priest has appeared in 10 games and scored three runs on four hits. Both batters hold little experience, but have the on-base talent to make up for it, each holding a .235 batting average. 

If Smith decides to rely on a designated hitter, Navarro will likely be his guy. While he may still have a developing arm and is finding his place on the lineup, Navarro is slightly more aggressive on the bases than Priest. While Michigan looks to find its offensive firepower, Navarro may just be the kindling it’s looking for. 

Lineup

As the Wolverines enter conference play, they have a roster filled with talent but missing experience. The many new faces, combined with a head coach stepping into his first team that’s completely his, has created an environment full of excitement, but one that lacks consistency. Michigan is still looking for leaders on the mound and at the plate. In order to support their infield defense, at least one of these areas must be solidified if the Wolverines hope to have success in the regular season and make a run in the Big Ten Tournament.

Ahead of Michigan’s home-opener against the Grizzlies, the Daily predicts the following lineup:

1. Bradley Navarro (DH) 2. Mack Timbrook (2B) 3. Mitch Voit (1B) 4. Jonathan Kim (CF) 5. Cole Caruso (3B) 6. Kyle Dernedde (SS) 7. Will Rogers (C) 8. Stephen Hurstich (LF) 9. Greg Pace Jr (RF) P  Dylan Vigue