Illustration of a student in a superhero costume standing on top of a crumpled schedule.
Design by Hailey Kim.

We have approached the worst part of the semester too quickly. It’s time to study for finals and pass our classes, all while trying to figure out our schedules for next semester. The University of Michigan may have a convoluted scheduling system, but we can and must learn how to use it to the best of our abilities. 

As an English and French and Francophone studies double major, my schedule consists of primarily humanities classes with the occasional social science course sprinkled in. While I enjoy the classes I take, figuring out my schedule is an uphill battle. There is an extremely limited number of French classes each semester, with most of them enrolling no more than 18 students

The issue with having a schedule filled with mostly humanities classes is the competition with students of all majors for those higher-level humanities distribution requirements. By contrast, students taking higher level STEM classes don’t face the same competition, as their courses are more lecture-based and allow for a higher enrollment. This stark, major-driven divide causes even more scheduling woes for humanities students.

In an interview with The Michigan Daily, LSA junior JJ Niskar explained how frustrating scheduling can be for him, since he double majors in biomolecular science and French and Francophone studies. 

“It’s harder to schedule STEM classes because it’s a lot more rigid the requirements you have to take, and there are a lot more people competing for the same spots,” Niskar said. “But competing for humanities is also hard because they have more limited options. French classes are only at certain times, with fewer choices, so I always have to start with my French classes and schedule around them.”

When asked if he had scheduling advice for underclassmen, Niskar emphasized the importance of trying to be as prepared as possible. 

“Make several schedules and use Atlas,” Niskar said. “Think of multiple classes you want to take because it’s better to have backup options.” 

Atlas Schedule Builder is an extremely helpful tool for students when it comes to finding classes and creating potential schedules. I didn’t know about Atlas until the winter semester of my freshmen year, and I seriously regret the classes I took my first semester because I missed out on Atlas. This website allows you to look up courses that interest you and view data on them, like the median grade for the class, general information and reviews about their professors. Students can also make multiple schedules and track the availability of different classes through Atlas. It puts all the relevant information you need for scheduling in one place, and mastering this tool is essential for successful scheduling. 

On Atlas, you have the ability to create several schedules, but sometimes none of them end up working, despite all your preparation. I remember the terror I experienced one registration period as I watched every single course in my Schedule Builder fill up 10 minutes before my registration time, and I had to create a completely new schedule on the spot. 

In an interview with The Daily, LSA senior Daniel Klein spoke on the trials and tribulations of course backpacking — or the process of “shopping” for courses pre-registration — and scheduling.

To prevent course selection from going awry, Klein suggested an additional scheduling resource that students can use.

“Talk to the advisors in your department and go over requirements with them. They can really help you,” Klein said. 

It’s extremely important to meet with your major’s academic advisor to make sure you are on the right track to graduate on time and with the credits you need. These advisors know their respective department better than you, allowing them to recommend new courses and help you find the best ways to fulfill your requirements. 

Additionally, it is extremely important to find classes that not only meet your requirements, but also your interests. When you find a class interesting, you are more likely to attend class, pay attention, effectively process information and perform well. The better you do, the more it can motivate you to continue taking classes that interest you. Select and take classes that draw you in and pass your personal vibe test.

Scheduling ultimately comes down to meeting distribution requirements, but balance is important for students’ mental health and their educational experience. 

In an interview with The Daily, Mike Stowe, coordinator for student communication and engagement at Newnan Advising Center, answered if students should approach scheduling STEM versus non-STEM classes differently. 

“All students should prioritize a balanced schedule when possible,” Stowe said. “This usually means a mixture of STEM and non-STEM classes. While balance will help ensure the workload isn’t overwhelming, it will also provide a more intellectually rich semester. Students may be surprised at how humanities coursework contributes to success in their natural science classes or how those natural science classes inform studies in the social sciences and beyond.”

While it is important to create a balanced schedule, taking the easiest classes isn’t always the best option. You can take an “easy” class and not do well in it because you lack interest and do not put in the necessary effort. 

The scheduling system does make it very difficult to feel secure as a student, and registration comes at a stressful time; however, we still have to make it work, as the process is unlikely to change anytime soon. Ask upperclassmen and advisors for help, and do your research to be as prepared as possible for your registration time. You will likely have to make adjustments before and when you start classes, but it is perfectly natural to do so. You’ve got this, and prepare to kick some backpack butt. 

Lara Tinawi is an Opinion Columnist writing about campus culture and her everyday musings. She can be reached at ltinawi@umich.edu.