Illustration of the state of Michigan with subjects of climate change conversations-- specifically a thermometer, a lake with algal bloom, and a melting ski slope-- scattered across it. The illustration is colorful and drawn in a simple, cartoonish style.
Design by Matthew Prock

In Michigan, we pride ourselves on our Great Lakes, four seasons and beautiful summers. The state is also often referred to as a “climate haven,” which is an area that is less prone to the damaging effects of climate change. While all the great amenities that we pride ourselves on are still standing, we may not be as safe from the detrimental effects of a warming climate as we think.

In August 2023, three University of Michigan researchers analyzed climate change in six different cities deemed as climate havens surrounding the Great Lakes region, including Ann Arbor. The researchers noted that, despite their standing as climate havens, these cities are likely to face some of the largest temperature increases in the near future. Because of this, they are likely unprepared for the scale of change a warmer climate will actually bring. 

According to these U-M researchers, “climate havens” in the Midwest have already experienced the detrimental effects of increasingly powerful storms and flooding. For example, in the summer of 2021, the metro Detroit area experienced a flood so bad that it was declared a “major disaster” by President Joe Biden. 

I experienced this flood firsthand: My family home’s basement in metro Detroit was completely flooded with sewer water, and we unfortunately lost thousands of dollars worth of furniture and family keepsakes. This was the same weekend as my high school graduation party, which thankfully took place at an event center. But many of my friends who planned on having their celebrations at their homes had to completely cancel, reschedule and even set up GoFundMes due to the severe damages to their homes. The struggles we faced due to this flood are minuscule in comparison to the loss some Detroit residents faced, where the estimated property damages amounted to about $100 million. 

In addition to flash floods and increasing precipitation, climate change has reared its head in Michigan in other ways, like with the Canadian wildfires last summer. Due to the utter amount of smoke and debris these fires produced, the Ann Arbor area, along with many other areas in southeast Michigan, experienced severe air quality declination. I worked at a restaurant that was about a five-minute walk from my apartment and had to call out of work multiple days due to the air quality being so poor. Some people feel immune to poor air quality, but as someone with asthma and other health issues, it was a very scary time. 

The cause of these wildfires is complex, but to put it simply: As temperatures warm up even the slightest bit, more lightning strikes. Many of Canada’s wildfires are caused by lightning, so even a minor warming of the climate can be devastating to the environment. As the Canadian climate heats up, so do our dear climate havens.

In addition to the environmental impact, we must also acknowledge climate change’s social and socioeconomic impact. In an interview with The Michigan Daily, Richard Alley, professor of geosciences at Penn State University, explained that many of the issues related to climate change in designated areas are directly correlated with socioeconomic status.

“If you are a sufficiently wealthy person, have a good air conditioner for hot summers, have a heater for the winter and you’re not in a flood zone, you’re probably not going to be someone hurt the most by this change,” Alley said. “What we see is that heat stress often is bad for those who are not prepared, so if you’re in a city that’s used to heat, you may be OK.”

Detroit, where many experience systemic economic hardship, has been warming at about 0.4 degrees per decade since 1960. Although Michigan is deemed a “climate haven,” it may only be so for those who can afford all the technology and resources needed to safely live in this new environment.

Local economies have also suffered as a result of these changes. My family traveled up north this past January and planned on skiing, but due to a lack of natural snow and icy conditions caused by the fake snow, we decided against it. When I was a child, we skied nearly every winter and never worried about there being no snow. Now, we’re surprised if there is snow. While us not being able to ski is most definitely a first-world problem, the detrimental effect on businesses is much more than that. 

Even though northern Michigan ski resorts have previously benefited from the warmer lakes (because as cold air moves over warm water, more lake-effect snow forms), they have also been severely impacted due to the temperature being too warm to create fake snow. Given that winter recreation stimulates the Michigan economy with billions of dollars each year, local economies will inevitably suffer when these activities decline due to warmer weather.    

While it is increasingly evident that Michigan is not as much of a “climate haven” as it seems, some beg to differ. Many argue, for example, that Michiganders should avoid worrying about Michigan becoming a climate haven and instead worry about the amount of people leaving Michigan. They also claim that climate change hasn’t been severe enough for people to feel the need to move to “climate havens.” While many of us are concerned for the state of our environment, some are more concerned with the economy of the state. While the state of the economy is worrisome, it is deeply connected to climate change in the region. 

“Climate havens” like Ann Arbor are not the havens we have made them out to be. In situations that feel so much bigger than us as individuals, we can oftentimes feel helpless — but we aren’t. According to Alley, change starts with educating yourself on which policymakers believe in science and are going to actively work on sustainable energy and against climate change. 

“We will have to adapt because the changes are already here,” Alley said. “It is still very clear that if we build a sustainable energy system, we should end up better off.” 

The effects of climate change are here to stay. Long-term solutions should be, too.

Katie Maraldo is an Opinion Columnist and can be reached at kmaraldo@umich.edu.