Protestors wave a flag outside of the Ruthven Building.
Julianne Yoon/Daily. Buy this photo.

At the back entrance of the Alexander G. Ruthven Building, about seven feet separated 13 state police officers from more than 100 student protesters, Palestinian flags and chants. 

More than 100 University of Michigan students and community members continued months of protests against the University for its decision not to divest from companies profiting from the Israeli military campaign in Gaza, gathering in a picketing circle before the Board of Regents’ meeting outside Ruthven Thursday morning. Barriers covered in multiple flyers displaying QR codes linked to a Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities, the Standard Practice Guide and the Michigan State Trespass Law held back protesters as their chants rang throughout North University Avenue.

After the meeting began, students marched to the back of the building, where they chanted “If we don’t get it, shut it down” and “Divestment is our demand, no peace on stolen land” for two hours. The protest was hosted by the TAHRIR Coalition, a coalition of more than 90 pro-Palestine organizations, including Jewish Voice for Peace and Students Allied for Freedom and Equality.

The board held its March 28 meeting at 9 a.m., seven hours earlier than its typical 4 p.m. start time. University spokesperson Kim Broekhuizen wrote in an email to The Michigan Daily that the meeting time was changed due to scheduling conflicts.

In an interview with The Daily at the protest, SAFE president Salma Hamamy said she believes the University administration changed the meeting time to guard against protesters, who have demonstrated at the past few Regents meetings.

“They did this to explicitly miss interfering with their students, especially students who are extremely angry with their recent protocols and the way that they have overall been treating their students on campus,” Hamamy said.

Hamamy said students remained committed to protesting despite the time change and early start to the meeting. 

“Students came here to let them know that it doesn’t matter if you change the meeting to 9 a.m., 10 a.m., whatever time it might be,” Hamamy said. “We will still be here, and we will still show up bright and early in the morning.” 

Hamamy spoke about the atmosphere outside Ruthven, including the barriers and QR codes displayed on them.

“The police up at the front have basically formed a barricade to prevent protesters from moving any further,” Hamamy said. “Thankfully, there has been no escalation so far, but knowing how the police have operated in the past could easily flip at any moment.”

Hamamy told The Daily she expects little from the Regents because she believes they will continue to prioritize University finances over student voices. 

“I expect them to remain as disappointing as ever,” Hamamy said. “They have shown time and time again that they do not care about human life and continue to prioritize profit over anything else. So long as they do that, they can expect us to come out here, but we know that they’re not going to instill any change or implement any difference or listen to any of our students. Because that is not what they actually are here for. They’re here to make money. It’s very unfortunate leaving their students outside constantly trying to demand a veto.”

According to SAFE board members at Thursday morning’s protest, three students were given citations from police for trespassing at the 101st Honor Convocation when a protest disrupted the event at Hill Auditorium Sunday. 

In an interview with The Daily, one student said they were only aware they could not enter Ruthven after the Nov. 17 protest inside the building, but the ticket they received on Thursday morning stated that they were banned from five campus buildings. The student has requested anonymity for fear of retribution.

“I never received a warning,” the student said. “I was blindsided by this ticket. … While I was walking with my friend, a police officer grabbed me and informed me that I was banned from five university buildings.”

In an email to The Daily, Melissa Overton, Division of Public Safety and Security deputy police chief, declined to provide additional information on the citations, citing an ongoing investigation.

Daily News Editor Sneha Dhandapani can be reached at sdhanda@umich.edu.