An illustration of actor Alex Newell.
Design by Grace Filbin.

“All art is communication of the artist’s ideas, sounds, thoughts; without that no one will support the artist.” — Lionel Hampton

Since the inception of the Arts section, we have written extensively about works of art. Through what we process, see, hear — our writers have dissected these elements of these works in order to bring you the finest we have in arts criticism. Before there were arts, however, there were artists. These individuals put pens to paper, frames to film, stanzas to song, all in an effort to be understood. Here at the Arts section, we hear them. This series centers on the artists we adore and how they have inspired us.

Being trans in theatre is complicated.

I am transmasculine and nonbinary. I am often perceived as a woman. I am a soprano. But I’m comfortable in roles of all genders and presentations. I have played men and women and characters who fall somewhere in between and have enjoyed embodying each one.

So watching Alex Newell become the first nonbinary performer to win a Tony Award for playing a powerful woman while being shoved into the male-specific “Best Supporting Actor” category both inspired me and broke my heart. I’m sure the screams of joy from me and my Queer actor friends watching their acceptance speech could be heard from miles around. Yet, there was a somber ambiance behind their win. Something was off, knowing that this category wasn’t really for them.

Newell’s stunning performance as Lulu in “Shucked” was one of my favorite theatrical moments of 2023. The comedic musical by Brandy Clark, Robert Horn and Shane McAnally, which opened in April of 2023, tells the story of the fictional Cob County and its citizens. When the county’s corn — its primary economic resource — begins to die, mayor Maizy (Caroline Innerbichler, “Frozen” North America tour) goes on the hunt for a solution. Lulu is her cousin and best friend, serving as a guiding support and singing “Independently Owned” (arguably the best song in the show). Newell’s effortless belting and true heart in the fan-favorite song is stunning. With lyrics like “I’m independently owned and modulated / And every man that I meet is just intimidated / I won’t change who I’ve always been / A W-O-M-A-N,” the song is a testament to the experience of being a woman and the pride of being one’s own person in a patriarchal society. Listening to such a brilliant performer singing a song about being oneself made me feel so seen. I listen to it on repeat.

But what plays on repeat in my head is the sight of them blowing me a kiss during curtain call when I saw the show. 

After the company bow, actors started to meander offstage. I blew Newell a kiss, a thank you for a brilliant performance and a sign of solidarity from a fellow nonbinary performer. And they blew one right back, accompanied by a playful wink. I could almost hear that cartoonish “ding” watching their eyeshadow glitter under the stage lights. And I burst into tears.

I don’t know why I started crying. Maybe it was shock that an icon like Newell noticed me. Maybe they were tears of joy after witnessing a fabulous performance. I don’t think they were tears of joy or sorrow. They were tears of catharsis. Watching a Tony-winning performer being proudly nonbinary up on a Broadway stage affirmed that people like us are just as talented and deserving as the other actors who have been nominated for the same awards for 76 years. It gave me hope that the Tony voters might see that too. 

I felt validated as someone who can play Nancy in “Oliver!” at the end of high school and then play Emory in “The Boys in the Band” a few years later, after realizing who they are. I could see myself on a stage beyond those on the University of Michigan campus despite my nontraditional gender identity and presentation. I felt more pride than I had ever felt before.

Newell is not the first and will not be the last nonbinary or trans performer on Broadway. Fellow Tony-winner J. Harrison Ghee’s performance as a canonically nonbinary and transfeminine character was a triumph in “Some Like it Hot,” and despite withdrawing their eligibility for a Tony Award because of the gendered categories, Justin David Sullivan dazzles in “& Juliet.” These fabulous performers have shown hundreds of audience members that we are here to stay. And even though it might have been just a wink and a kiss for them, Alex Newell told me that night at “Shucked” that I am valid.

Newell has made me cry more than once, and for good reason. As they accepted their Tony, they said, “And to anyone that thinks that they can’t do it, I’m going to look you dead in your face, that you can do anything you put your mind to.” 

I have asked so many questions as I’ve realized who I am and changed my name and presentation. Is playing this or that gender OK? Is playing this role appropriation? Are trans performers even allowed? But Alex Newell has shown me that I have nothing to worry about. I can be myself onstage and off.

Daily Arts Writer Max Newman can be reached at jqnewman@umich.edu.