Having returned a wealth of its scoring from last season and adding Michigan’s high school Ms. Basketball Kysre Gondrezick, it was expected that Michigan would be able to put up a lot of points this season.

But rarely is it ever an expectation to break the 100-point mark, let alone do it twice.

Michigan utilized its outside shooting and low-post presence to dominate Niagara on Sunday, 107-35, two days after it put up a similar total against Oakland, 101-63.

The 208 points scored by the Wolverines were historic. Michigan’s 101-point performance against the Golden Grizzlies was good for ninth all-time in program history, but was quickly moved to 10th after Michigan outdid itself with 107 points against the Purple Eagles, tied for third. The 72-point victory over Niagara was the program’s largest margin of victory in its history.

Michigan coach Kim Barnes Arico wasn’t even thinking about the records they were setting.

“It’s still so early, and we’re still a work in progress,” Barnes Arico said. “But I think that we have shown that we have greater depth than ever before. We have shown that if someone is having an off shooting night, somebody else can score. Multiple people can do different things on any night.

“There was never a point where I was like, ‘This person’s not playing hard enough. We’ve gotta get them out of the game.’ Everyone went out there and played as hard as they could play and really set an example of what our program stands for and the culture that we have here at Michigan.”

While the Wolverines were putting up otherworldly numbers, a handful of players were also posting career days, a few of which came from unexpected sources. The three freshmen without the last name Gondrezick, who won’t likely get too much playing time later in the season, made significant contributions off the bench.  

“It gives us a lot of confidence because, especially being freshmen, it’s kind of hard to sit and go into a big game and not know what to do,” said freshman guard Akienreh Johnson, who totaled eight points and three boards. “So for (Barnes Arico) to even let us get out there and test the waters, it gives us a lot of confidence to know that she trusts us to be out there.”

Added guard Kayla Robbins, who posted the Wolverines’ first double-double of the season: “Not every year will all four freshmen play minutes, and for this to be the second game of the season, for us to even be able to get the amount of minutes that we did, is really a positive step. And it’s really exciting to be out there on the floor.”

Junior guard Maria Backman has also seen more action than in previous seasons and has been one of the first players off the bench. She earned her first double-digit game of her career with 11 points on 5-for-5 shooting and added three boards.

Senior guard Siera Thompson is familiar to stuffing the stat sheet, but she was also able to etch her name into the record books as the second Wolverine to eclipse 200 career 3-pointers, just six away from becoming Michigan’s all-time leader.

Despite the historic accolades, the road ahead is tough for the Wolverines, something that Barnes Arico likes to remind her players of.

While it may be blowing out opponents right now, Michigan can’t just rely on its offensive prowess when it takes on teams like No. 6 Maryland, No. 7 Ohio State and No. 12 Florida State.