For the second time in three days, the Michigan women’s basketball team has postponed its game. The Wolverines were supposed to play Penn State on Dec. 23, but just like their game on Dec. 21, it has been postponed.

Per a press release, the cancellation was due to COVID-19 related concerns within the program. No further information has been provided on if these concerns are due to positive tests or due to contacting tracing.

Penn State and Michigan will work together to reschedule the game at a later point in the season. The Wolverines’ last opponent, Butler, who they played on Dec. 9, paused team activities on Dec. 10 due to COVID-19 concerns.

Earlier this week, the Big Ten changed its COVID-19 quarantine rules from a mandatory 21-day break from action for a positive test to a 17-day absence.

Michigan finished its non-conference schedule 5-0 and was one of a few teams to play its entire non-conference schedule without any postponements or cancellations. The Wolverines’ next game is currently scheduled for Dec. 31 at home against Wisconsin.

The COVID-19 pandemic has thrown challenges at all of us — including The Michigan Daily — but that hasn’t stopped our staff. We’re committed to reporting on the issues that matter most to the community where we live, learn and work. Your donations keep our journalism free and independent. You can support our work here.

For a weekly roundup of the best stories from The Michigan Daily, sign up for our newsletter here