As a graduate of the University of Michigan, I have been paying extreme attention to the 2016 presidential campaign. My change from being a Hillary Clinton supporter in 2008 to a Donald Trump supporter in 2016 isn’t typical. I barely knew about Trump after he declared he would run for president. In the very beginning, I treated him and his behavior like a joke — this guy was so funny as a billionaire businessman. Like most people, the information I knew was from the mainstream media. I didn’t believe he could win the election, and his speaking style was quite entertaining if you didn’t take what he’s saying seriously. 

But things changed gradually. When the news outlets reported more about Trump, not in a positive way, I began to feel a little skeptical: Is he as bad as the media reports? I decided to do my own research by using the powerful Google search engine (thank you, Larry Page, you are wonderful) and listening to his speeches. I found out Trump wasn’t the exact image that the mainstream media painted.

What’s going on with that? He did say some quite politically incorrect things, but the mainstream media had a political agenda aligned with Clinton’s campaign strategy, spinning everything Trump said without context and even reversing his meanings — it was really like an American version of the Cultural Revolution — by labeling him to be “racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic” while Clinton labeled his community of supporters as a “basket of deplorables.”

Unlike Clinton, who was busy meeting her big donors, Trump held rallies, one after another, and he really cared about the real challenges of this country. He came to hold rallies seven times in total in Arizona, and I attended three of them, including his rally for the primary election at Fountain Hills. Trump’s policies are all on his campaign website. I don’t have to agree with everything he said and indeed, I took an iSideWith test and only got 56 percent match with Trump and 36 percent with Clinton. I listened to many of his talks from different rallies and he knew what the American people really need and want to change. Unfortunately, his real voice was spun by the mainstream media and further incited by more misleading information. Race card, gender card, religious card became the tools to smear Trump and his supporters.

I don’t have to be a conservative or a liberal, but a neutral resident watching this great election. I wanted to learn something in this election, so I needed to keep reading and analyzing the information I received from the internet (not from TV). As a result, I predicted that Trump would win 324 Electoral College votes including the critical votes from swing states: 16 from Michigan, 10 from Wisconsin, 20 from Pennsylvania, 29 from Florida and 18 from Ohio, but I was wrong on Colorado, Nevada and New Hampshire and 1 vote from a district in Maine. 

How could Trump win in a landslide? He really listened to the voters and the voters listened to him, too, and gave him a trust vote. But, where was Clinton? 

Even though Trump won the election, the media keeps misleading many Clinton supporters who have been long brainwashed by the media to believe that their candidate would never lose. They couldn’t believe their long hope resulted in nothing. They couldn’t accept a result contrary to the belief they held onto for so long. Protests, riots, emotional ventilations and the like are the only way they could express their disappointments. Nonetheless, could they step out of the box, their comfort zone, and empathize why so many people support Trump?

It’s quite pathetic to note after eight years of President Barack Obama’s administration, the law and order, racial tension and gender discrimination and many other conflicts are messed up. But how could you blame a presidential candidate, and now president-elect, for Obama’s toxic presidential leadership and the mainstream media’s faults? Now you are on the left side, and we are on the right side. Should you and I start a fight? What does democracy mean in this election? Since Clinton couldn’t win the election, please blame her for her own faults. If you want to win, please be prepared for the next election in four years. Attend rallies early, rather than protest or riot after, when you are too late.

In the end, right now, win or loss, this election provides a lesson everyone can learn from. It isn’t about “we won, you lost,” it’s about putting America first and how to make America great again.

Jinhui Chen Ph.D.

Rackham alum, ’09