Zombies have taken over.

It started out slowly, with projects like 2009’s “Pride, Prejudice and Zombies” and “Zombieland.” Then came AMC’s “The Walking Dead” in 2010. Now, with the advent of The Michigan Zombie Club, they have taken over campus too.

With 25 members, the club dedicates itself to spreading “zombie awareness.”

“Even though it seems like it may not be an imminent threat, we should always be prepared,” said LSA freshman Scott Christopher, the club’s resident Zombie Specialist. “Especially with this economic crisis we went through, people really didn’t think we could drop that bad, and it just shows you that anything could happen — even zombies.”

Though club members cite their interest as having started long before zombies began trending, they are happy to see the undead getting so much attention from Hollywood. Specifically, they’re excited about “The Walking Dead.”

Based off of a graphic novel, the series follows a handful of survivors in the Deep South trying to find their way in a zombie-ridden world. After its premiere boasted 5.3 million viewers, Entertainment Weekly hailed the series as the best new show of 2010. It has just been picked up for a second season of 13 episodes (up from the first season, which was only six).

“I think something that really makes (‘The Walking Dead’) different is that there is a threat of zombies, but really the bigger threat is other humans,” Christopher said. “Zombies move the plot forward, but a lot of the trouble is dealing with other humans after the apocalypse. Instead of just battling zombies, it’s about how you come together when you’re fighting for your life.”

Of course, a large part of the show is still the zombies. One interesting question the series raises is whether or not zombies are still people. The zombies are often portrayed as victims, illustrating not only the tragedy of the survivors’ situation, but also that of the zombies themselves.

“Zombies are definitely humans too,” said LSA sophomore and Master of Zombie Relations Kevin Binder. “My job (in the club) is to make peaceful relations between the humans and zombies. I really have an optimistic outlook towards a future where the two can coexist.”

Still, zombies have not become quite as popular as certain other forms of undead creatures.

“I don’t think people find the whole eating brains and dining on raw flesh thing to be quite as romantic as vampires,” Binder said. “Then again, I don’t really get vampires because they also drink blood.”

It’s difficult to say how long zombies will continue to be popular or if they will ever be as big as vampires (or whatever undead creature is next, for that matter). Regardless, the Michigan Zombie Club will be around to preach the importance of being prepared.

Today, the club is sponsoring Zombie Awareness Day, where members will hand out flyers in the Diag and inform students as to how to best protect themselves from zombies. They will also provide a life-sized zombie doll and cricket bats for them to practice with.

Other events the club hopes to put on include screenings of “The Walking Dead” and a You’ve Been Bitten By a Zombie Day, in which the group runs around and pretends to attack people to spread awareness.

Also in the works is a “Zombie Infiltration Day,” in which the club members will interrupt classes and attend meetings for other groups on campus to spread the word about zombies.

“It’s not really going to be disruptive though, because in reality, nothing anything any of them are doing matters because the zombie apocalypse is going to come and all of them are going to get wiped out if they aren’t prepared,” said LSA junior and Zombie Master Doug Fischer.

“There’s no such thing as safe. Only safer.”