5GIANT Magazine — Ever wanted to know what character actor James Rebhorn does during his free time? What about the history of John Hughes? This publication hasn’t been around long, but it’s already establishing itself as the next great printed source on popular culture. Each issue is colorful and well designed, and the articles are rather in-depth and entertaining.

Angela Cesere
Courtesy of Sony

4“Sideways” screenplay — Readily available from the good people at Newmarket Press, the Academy Award-winning script is a must-have for any fan of the movie. The fantastic introduction by Rolling Stone writer Peter Travers, the afterword by novelist Rex Pickett and the half-serious/half-comedic study guide by the screenwriters really makes this script worthwhile.

3Ennio Morricone — Widely considered one of the greatest film composers of all time, Ennio Morricone’s classical compositions have lasted through the decades and have crossed many musical genres. Morricone’s score for Sergio Leone’s “Once Upon A Time In America” is complex and bold, but lately, I cannot stop listening to his music from “Cinema Paradiso,” which is filled with immense sincerity and intense warmth.

2Andi Watson — I’m really not much of a comics reader, but I simply can’t resist the work of writer/artist Andi Watson. Watson’s art is subtle and distinct, but the man truly shines as a storyteller. His fish-out-of-water story “Slow News Day” and rather bleak “Breakfast After Noon” are well recommended.

1Playstation PSP — It’s terrible for playing MP3s and viewing photos, but that’s ok — Sony’s new handheld device was really meant to play games, and it does that amazingly well. Complete with a sleek interface and sexy look, it really is like having a PS2 on the go — which means that Sony is going to be Nintendo’s first true competitor in the portable gaming market.