Five goals in a lacrosse game is usually a good day. But junior Trevor Yealy outdid even that scoring five goals in one quarter.

The No. 1 Michigan men’s club lacrosse team used his five first-quarter goals to jump out to an early lead against No. 6 Minnesota-Duluth.

Last year’s Men’s Collegiate Lacrosse Association’s player of the year, Yealy continued to show why he is considered one of the best players in the MCLA against the Bulldogs. Yealy had nine goals, just two short of the Wolverines’ single-game record of 11 that he set last year and Michigan rode to a comfortable 14-7 win.

“I don’t think we’ve done anything different, I don’t think I’ve done anything different, and they certainly didn’t do anything different this game as opposed to last year — which was kind of shocking,” Yealy said. “It was really no different than last year’s game which is why I think I had so much success. I think their team defense is really lacking and it shows.”

Michigan appears to have moved past the slow starts that plagued the team in the beginning of the season. This was especially concerning for the Wolverines after last week’s dogfight with then-No. 7 Oregon, when the team mustered just five goals in a tough 5-4 overtime victory.

However, they left no doubt this time around. The Wolverines came out of the gate extremely fast and jumped to a 6-1 lead in the first quarter.

“We were doing a pretty good job offensively — especially in the first quarter,” Michigan coach John Paul said. “We were winning faceoffs, we were getting penalty calls, and we were capitalizing. That was the difference, we were capitalizing on our chances and they weren’t on their (chances).”

After dominating the first half, Michigan took a commanding lead into the fourth quarter with the score at 11-3.

The play of junior goaltender Mark Stone was a big factor in the Wolverines’ stifling defensive performance. Stone allowed just three goals through three quarters of play and tallied 12 saves.

In accordance with the platoon system at goal that Michigan has been following for most of the season, junior Andrew Fowler came in for the fourth quarter. However, Fowler came into a cold game without much of a warm-up and allowed four goals while saving just two shots.

“We just wanted to give (Fowler) a chance — we felt like the game (was) pretty much in hand,” Paul said. “Fowler certainly deserves to be playing, they are both great goalies. I’d like to see Fowler come in there and make a couple of more saves but it was kind of hard to expect that (with) the way that he came into the game.”

The Wolverines bring their 47-game winning streak back home to Ann Arbor this weekend.

Michigan will be facing unranked conference opponents Western Michigan and Central Michigan at Oosterbaan Fieldhouse on Friday and Saturday.

“We have to focus on cleaning up our game and making sure we get better,” Yealy said. “We got up to a huge lead this weekend against Minnesota (Duluth) and then kind of had a slow second half. Against some of the better teams they can come back. Our focus should be maintaining our drive throughout the entire course of the game, not falling asleep at the wheel because we have a comfortable lead.”