The Michigan women”s track team knows all about broken hearts.

It came up one point short this weekend in a dual meet at Indiana. The team lost 81-80, with the margin being decided in the final event of the meet.

Entering the 4×400-meter relay, the Wolverines were ahead 77-76. Just one relay team from each school could score, with five points awarded to the winner and three points awarded to the runner-up. It was clear that Indiana needed to win the relay, and it did so, taking the relay in the fourth and final leg, winning by .72 of a second.

The meet was as exciting as any in recent memory, said Michigan assistant coach Anne Takacs.

“It was the loudest 4×400-meter relay I had heard in a long time,” Takacs said.

Junior April Phillips continued to lead the Wolverines this season, earning eight total points by finishing second in the weight throw and winning the shot put. Freshmen Sharifa Jones also garnered eight points, finishing third in the 60-meter dash, the 200-meter dash, the 60-meter hurdles and the long jump.

The meet may not have been so tight had Indiana senior Tia Trent not been disqualified and stripped of the win in the 600-meter dash for cutting in too early on the stagger. But Trent made up for the faux pas, taking the baton on the last leg of the 4×400-meter relay with her team roughly 15 meters behind, and overtaking the lead on the final curve.

Michigan (1-1) can take solace heading into next weekend”s Red Simmons Invitational in Ann Arbor because it feels the score would have been different had so many team members not been injured.

“A one-point loss is never bad,” Takacs said. “If everyone was healthy, and we did not have so many injuries, we would have been in great shape. In fact, we all should take a lot of positives out of how close we really were, despite our disadvantages. Our goal now is to get healthy and to get ready for the rest of the year.”

The Wolverines were also happy with their competitive fire in most of the events, allowing the Hoosiers (1-0) to take both first and second place in just two events. Conversely, Michigan swept the top two spots five times.

The meet should just serve as a marking point for the Wolverines, allowing them to understand where they need to improve.

With a narrow loss to a Big Ten title contender on the road, the team should be confident moving on to the rest of the year.