With the indoor season just getting underway, the Michigan women’s track and field team has been impressive, to say the least. Usually carried by the strong strides of veteran middle distance runners like Rachel Sturtz and Lindsey Gallo, the team is receiving superb performances from the field athletes and a couple of freshmen.

All-American senior April Phillips has been impressive thus far, launching an NCAA provisional throw of 51-0 1/4 at the Red Simmons Invitational. Senior tri-captain Teyonna Simpson has shown steady improvement in recent meets with a career-best leap of 40-9 1/2 also at the Red Simmons Invitational. Both athletes lead the up and coming field team, which is expected to give the Wolverines an overall boost for scoring meets.

Freshmen Rebecca Walter and Elizabeth Boyle have provided some strong numbers in recent meets. Walter, the Big Ten Freshman of the Year in cross country, is the leading mile-runner for the Wolverines, along with sophomores Chelsea Loomis and Theresa Feldkamp. The young trio is showing plenty of potential for future seasons. Boyle, who broke the school pole vault record at the Jack Harvey Invitational, is off to a great start in an event that Michigan hasn’t been very strong in recently.

The Wolverines return to the track tomorrow at the Michigan Intercollegiate to be hosted by Eastern Michigan University. Field events are scheduled for 4 p.m. and track events will begin at 6 p.m. Michigan will be counting on these athletes to help the team earn bragging rights in the state.