Though the Michigan women’s tennis team won this weekend at the Spartan Invitational, there is still a lot for the team to work on before the scoring part of the season begins.

The Wolverines won the three-day event in East Lansing, earning titles in both singles and doubles matches. Combined, they went 12-2 in single matches and 7-1 in doubles matches.

“We had a great weekend,” Michigan coach Ronni Bernstein said. “We were looking to work on our game. This weekend was a great opportunity to get the girls practice in matches.”

And though it was a non-scoring event, the Wolverines were determined to prove themselves as a formidable opponent in the upcoming season.

Junior Mimi Nguyen and senior Michelle Sulahian went undefeated in each of their doubles matches.

“Michelle and Mimi haven’t competed much since NCAA Championships, so it was good to get some practice under their belt,” Bernstein said.

Nguyen and Sulahian also posted 3-1 singles records for the weekend, placing second and third, respectively, in the Draw A singles competition.

Freshman Kristen Dodge made her collegiate debut, earning the title for Draw B singles out of 16 players. She defeated freshman teammate Sarah Lee in the championship round.

“We had to get a feel for Kristen and Sarah’s game,” Bernstein said. “With veterans like Mimi and Michelle, we know how they play the game. For the freshmen, we have to get them used to doubles matches. College tennis is a lot about doubles.”

Even though the team pulled through this weekend, Bernstein emphasized that there is still a lot of work to do before January.

“It was a good start,” Bernstein said. “But we are going to have a lot of opportunities to compete against high-ranked teams. Northwestern is always a big one for us.”

In order to prepare for the stiff competition, the team will have to work on conditioning and match play.

“Mimi ran out of steam in the finals,” Bernstein said. “We have a lot of practice to do, especially since the girls didn’t get to play that much this summer.”

The team will continue to perservere during the non-scoring portion of the schedule. These invitationals, though not key in determining seeding for Big Tens next spring, are important in the team’s development.

“We aren’t looking forward to April yet,” Bernstein said. “We have to take things one at a time.”

The Wolverines next compete in the ITA All-American Championships in Los Angeles, Calif., Oct. 4-9.