With the success the Michigan women’s tennis team has been having, they might never want to come home.

A weekend sweep of No. 4 Northwestern and Wisconsin gave the Wolverines their ninth-straight win, with the last seven coming on the road.

No. 8 Michigan (5-0 Big Ten, 15-3 overall) defeated the Wildcats, 4-3, and the Badgers, 6-1, giving the Wolverines a 5-0 record in conference play.

The Wolverines entered Saturday’s match at Northwestern winless against the Wildcats since 1997. Northwestern had not lost in Big Ten competition since April 2004, a winning streak of 81 matches.

The day got off to a strong start as the Wolverines swept doubles to take the pivotal first point. Wolverine junior Denise Muresan dominated 13th ranked Maria Mosolova — the same player to whom she lost in the fall — 6-3, 6-0.

“I saw her in the fall,” Muresan said. “So I knew how she played and how I had to play. I was able to just play smart today, hit my shots and take my opportunities.”

But two straight Northwestern(4-1 Big Ten, 13-4 overall) wins tied the overall score, 2-2. No. 5 singles stemmed the tide, as senior Tania Mahtani got the crucial win. Down 5-2 in the first set, Mahtani rallied to win 7-5, 6-3.

“I got off to a rough start,” Mahtani said, “I was trusting my game, but I wasn’t quite executing in the beginning of the first set. I went down 5-2, 40-15, but I just kept trusting my game, stayed calm, and knew that I was going to be able to come back.“

Freshman Mimi Nguyen clinched the match for the Wolverines with a straight-set win in No. 4 singles.

“It shows the progress of the program,” Michigan coach Ronnie Bernstein said. “Northwestern is the team to beat in the Big Ten, so we’ve definitely caught up to them. The girls have improved a lot and it’s just a good group. We work hard, and we believe in ourselves, so it really doesn’t matter who we’re playing.”

In Sunday’s match at Wisconsin, the Wolverines again got off to a strong start as they swept doubles to take the first point.

Muresan took No. 1 singles in dominant fashion to take the second point, but Wisconsin (1-4 Big Ten, 6-12 overall) made it interesting in taking the No. 3 singles, and that would be the last point the Wolverines lost. No. 2 junior Whitney Taney, No. 4 Nguyen, and No. 5 Mahtani all followed with straight set wins. Sophomore Michelle Sulahian provided the icing on the cake at No. 6 singles, winning 10-4 in a third-set tiebreaker.

The weekend ended the Wolverines’ schedule of seven straight on the road. The importance of being able to go through the stretch unscathed is not lost on Bernstein.

“We prepare very hard at home,” Bernstein said. “We feel like we’re in shape and we’ve worked hard, so it’s just trusting ourselves, whether we’re at home or on the road. Obviously it’s nice to play in front of your home crowd, but the girls believe in themselves even when they’re on the road.”

Up next for the Wolverines are back-to-back home games against Penn State and Ohio State this coming weekend. With a new high ranking awaiting the squad, the focus remains on the present.

“We’re not taking anybody for granted,” Bernstein said, “Each and every day, we need to come out and be prepared mentally because if we don’t do that we’re going to be in trouble. We have a very mature group that realizes the position we’re in, so we’re going to be ready for every game.”