The Michigan women’s swimming and diving team opened the 2009-10 season with high aspirations.

The team was rolling after fifth-year senior and 2008 NCAA champion Emily Brunemann returned to the pool after a one-year absence to lead the Wolverines to victory over Notre Dame.

But just one month later, Michigan is looking to regain its confidence after its fourth straight loss. The Wolverines dropped meets against Florida and Stanford over the weekend.

“Swims are just not coming easily for us right now,” Michigan coach Jim Richardson said. “We look tired out there.”

The team traveled to Gainesville, Fla. for a two-day, double-dual meet. After losses to both top-10 squads, the Wolverines dropped below .500 with a 3-4 record.

Despite the team’s loss, some Wolverines turned in notable individual performances against the two Division I powerhouses.

Brunemann continued her success in the 1,650-yard freestyle as she broke her previous mark by nearly 17 seconds and remained undefeated in the event this season. Freshman Julia Andracki took home third place in both the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke.

“Julia has a lot of ability and a great attitude and work ethic,” Richardson said. “In terms of potential, I don’t want to say what her ceiling is, because I feel that might actually limit her.”

On the diving end, sophomore Amanda Lohman turned in an impressive second-place performance on the one-meter board.

The Wolverines have never beaten Florida or Stanford since the team’s inception in the mid-1970s. Michigan is a combined 0-14 lifetime against the teams. In fact, Richardson took the losses rather lightly.

“We are not as concerned about the win column as much as we are about swimming as well as we did during training through the week,” he said. “Unfortunately, the girls looked a little bit more fatigued than expected.”

In hopes of mending that issue, the coaching staff will cut down on morning cardio routines to give the swimmers more rest before heading to West Lafayette for the Purdue Invitational on Nov. 20.