The last time the Michigan women’s golf team traveled to Kentucky, the current players were in elementary school.

1. Kentucky 924
2. Central Florida 932
3. Augusta State 940
4. Michigan 944
5. Illinois 945
6. Chattanooga 946
7. Miami 947
8. Kennesaw State 956
9. Middle Tennessee 960
10. Florida Southern 961
11. Murray State 972
12. Mississippi State 973
13. Jacksonville State 976
14. Akron 978
15. Toledo 985
16. Marshall 986

T17. Alyssa Shimel 236
T21. Yugene Lee 237
T21. Meagan Bauer 237
T50. Devon Compton 246
T67. Lauren Grogan 250
T54. Caramia Sitompul 247

Fourteen years after the Wolverines’ last appearance there, Michigan traveled to Lexington, Ky. to compete in the Bettie Lou Evans Invitational.

At the three-day event, Michigan finished fourth in the 16-team field, beating Big Ten rival No. 8 Illinois by only one shot.

“We didn’t play too badly,” said Michigan coach Cheryl Stacy. “We were hoping to play better overall. But we beat Illinois, so that was good.”

On the first day, the Wolverines were tied for sixth place. By the end of the second day, Michigan had moved up to third behind Central Florida and Kentucky.

Though the team got off to a shaky start, the Wolverines fought through the rounds with a positive mentality.

“The girls are very good at bouncing back after a bad round or a bad hole,” Stacy said. “They get very disappointed when they don’t play well.”

Sophomore Alyssa Shimel was the top Michigan finisher for the weekend. She tied for 17th with an overall total of 236 strokes. Senior Meagan Bauer was just one shot behind, tying for 21st.

Sophomore Yugene Lee tied for 11th place as the top Wolverine on the first day. She slid down the leaderboard into 41st at the end of day two, shooting six strokes worse than her first-round score. On day three, she came back with three-over-par 72 to finish tied for 21st.

“(Lee) had a bad day that second day,” Stacy said. “She is very competitive and doesn’t like to play poorly. She had a great day the final day, though, so she came back.”

The Wolverines need to work on its mental toughness, strategy and short games in these coming weeks in order to improve its scores.

“The team has a lot of heart, and we showed that this weekend,” Stacy said. “They want to win, but we have a few things to work on.”

Michigan will compete in the Lady Northern Invitational Oct. 10-11 in French Lick, Ind.