Traveling to Mount Pleasant, the Michigan women”s track team earned its first victory away from Ann Arbor Saturday. Facing teams such as Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan and the University of Detroit, the Wolverines won the Michigan Intercollegiate with 168.5 points.

“It was a pleasant victory for us,” Michigan coach James Henry said.

“Central Michigan was a strong, balanced team one of the best teams out there.”

The Wolverines demonstrated their depth and proved they were serious contenders in the 1,600-meter relay. Choosing not to run all of its best runners, Michigan sent out two inexperienced runners for the event freshmen Mora Arnold and Vera Simms filled in for senior Regine Carruthers and sophomore Carly Knazze.

The substitutions didn”t affect the results, as the Wolverines won the relay with a time of 3:49.53.

Although they sat out the relay, Carruthers and Knazze ran earlier during the 400-meter dash. Carruthers won the event in an event-record time of 56.25. Knazze finished second with a time of 56:47. Currently, Carruthers and Knazze are the top-two quarter-milers on the team.

“This was our biggest performance of the day,” Henry said. “Having them finish first and second in the event highlighted how well we”ve improved over these past few weeks.”

Holding Carruthers and Knazze back from the relay gave the Wolverines a chance to build strength and confidence in other runners.

Since they compete on a weekly basis, the Wolverines like to utilize many runners by having them run various events.

This gives Michigan an advantage over other teams which may not have enough depth to carry them through a long, grueling season.

“The expected performance from our team was unpredictable,” Henry said. “We knew we would compete well, but we did not expect to win.”

Junior Tasha Phillips had another personal-best in the 60-meter low hurdles. Finishing first and running a time of 8.87 or better were two of her goals from last week.

“My goal is to win one or more of my events next week during the Michigan Intercollegiate,” Phillips said after the Red Simmons Invitational on Jan. 20. “I also think that we have a good chance of winning the meet.”

Michigan also got some surprising wins in the distance events at the Intercollegiate. Running in the event for the first time in her career, senior Katy Radkewich was a surprise winner in the 5,000 meters. Given her time of 17:32.96, Radkewich might be an occasional substitute in this event for the Wolverines.

“We”re very happy with her performance, and hopefully she will continue on,” Henry said.

Finishing third for the Wolverines was freshman Katie Easton, who crossed the line in a time of 17:49.29.

Senior Katie Jazwinski again led the Wolverines in the 3,000 meters, winning the event with a time of 9:54.52. Sophomore Jane Martineau came in third and freshman Lindsey Gallo finished fourth.

Michigan also managed to pull off a win in the field events, as sophomore Teyonna Simpson won the triple jump with a leap of 38-11.