Think your week is tough?

Try living the lifestyle of the Michigan women”s golf team.

This weekend, the Wolverines will play for four days straight, cover 90 holes of golf, and participate in two tournaments in different states.

“It will be grueling,” junior Kim Benedict said. “But the less we think about (the 90 holes) the less it becomes a factor in how we play.”

As tough as the weekend may be, it will provide the first test of how far the Wolverines have come in this young 2001-02 season. The four-day marathon begins at a familiar place the University of Michigan Golf Course with the Wolverine Invitational on Oct. 6-7.

After that, Michigan will move on to the Women”s Collegiate Shootout in Franklin, Ind. the site of the Wolverines” school-record 18-hole score of 287, set last season for 54 more holes.

Last year”s Wolverine Invitational champion, senior Courtney Reno, will be joined by fellow seniors Misia Lemanski, LeAnna Wicks and Benedict and freshman Laura Olin for five of the six spots for this weekend”s tournaments. The quintet is coming off a bye week after its record-setting weekend at the Lady Northern on Sept. 23, but even with the week of the Wolverines are still confident that their momentum has not been affected.

The time away from competition “has pushed us to work even more,” Benedict said. “We”ve been practicing hard and even though we won at the Northern there was still plenty for us to work on.”

The rest of the team has been playing a qualifier this week for the sixth individual spot. The sixth member will be determined within the next few days. Michigan coach Kathy Teichert said sophomore Sarah Kruer and senior Bess Bowers are currently atop the leaderboard for the final position.

Michigan will be utilizing two teams this weekend its top six comprise the Blue team, which tees off from 9:54 to 10:39 a.m. on Saturday. The Maize team, which will be made up of the remaining four golfers, tees off from 9-9:45 a.m..

Sunday”s 18 holes will start with a 9 a.m. shotgun.

Whichever six make up the Blue team for Michigan will have a chance to reverse recent history at the Wolverine Invitational. The home advantage has not existed for Michigan, as it has finished as low as ninth and only as high as second in the past five tournaments. The last time the Wolverines won their own event was in 1991, which was also the last time the tournament took place prior to a four-year hiatus.

Since the Wolverine Invitational restarted in 1996, Baylor, Michigan State, Ohio and Indiana twice have claimed Michigan”s only home event. But the past can”t shake the confidence of anyone who is playing this weekend.

“You bring to the table a new team,” Teichert said. “This year”s team is an exceptional group and with the field at our own tournament we”d have to be considered as early favorites. When you host you want to play well.”

Much like at the Lady Northern, the Big Ten will be well-represented at the Indiana Shootout 2001 NCAA Championship qualifier Purdue will be competing, along with six other conference foes. Other top contenders will be Kent State, Texas A&M and Louisville. The Wolverines, even after 36 holes and with no practice round, still plan on being among the top teams at the Indiana Shootout and on having drastic improvements from last year”s fifth-place finish.

“Our adrenaline will take us through it,” Reno said. “I think we can do better (than last season). The level we played last year is nowhere near where we are playing now.”

This weekend will also be an early goodbye for the seniors as they will compete on Michigan”s course for the final time.

A win at the Wolverine Invitational “would mean a lot for us seniors,” Reno said.

“It would be the perfect ending.”

Who: Michigan hosts the Wolverine Invitational.

When: Saturday at 9 a.m. and Sunday at 8:30 a.m.

Latest: Senior Courtney Reno will attempt to defend her Wolverine Inviatational title as Michigan hits the links for a 90-hole marathon in Ann Arbor. The Wolverines eye their first team title at the Wolverine Invitational since 1991.