A new day didn’t bring new success for the Mastodons of Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne.

Michigan defeated IPFW by a score of 8-0 in the first game of a doubleheader today at Ray Fisher Stadium. The teams were supposed to square off in the final game of the series Sunday, but projected rain in the forecast resulted in the third game being moved to today.

The Wolverines (11-9) jumped on the Mastodons early, scoring four runs in the home half of the first. Freshman centerfielder Patrick Biondi tripled out of the leadoff spot, and redshirt junior second baseman Anthony Toth followed with an RBI groundout to get the scoring started.

Senior first baseman Mike Dufek, redshirt senior rightfielder Nick Urban and sophomore third baseman John Lorenz all had run-scoring singles in the inning. It was all that the Wolverines would need, as the Mastodons (2-19) were helpless against redshirt freshman left-hander Bobby Brosnahan.

Brosnahan (2-2) went five innings, allowing just two hits and striking out a career-high eight (though he also walked four batters). Junior right-hander Kolby Wood and freshman right-hander Ben Ballantine finished off the shutout for the Wolverines.

Lorenz punctuated Michigan’s offensive effort with a solo home run in the bottom of the eighth, his second of the year. Biondi and Urban both finished with four hits on the afternoon.

First pitch for the second game of the doubleheader was set for thirty minutes after the conclusion of the first, at approximately 4:30.