Everyone loves the long ball. And the Michigan softball team showed this week that it’s no exception.

The Wolverines hit 5 home runs in their doubleheader against Indiana Wednesday, including two from junior Nikki Nemitz and two from sophomore Dorian Shaw.

The two games were vastly different stories. In the first, the Hoosiers caused some concern for Michigan fans after they scored a first-inning run and held onto that one-run lead through the fourth. Then, in the bottom of the fourth, the Wolverines used a single and a wild pitch to tie the game.

Michigan (12-2 Big Ten, 36-9 overall) blew the game open in the sixth inning where back-to-back home runs led the Wolverines to score three runs and eventually win the game 5-1.

The Wolverines carried that momentum into the second game, which left little drama after the first two innings. After a three-run second inning Michigan held on and expanded their 4-0 lead to win 7-1.

The two wins extended their season-high win streak to 14. Michigan hasn’t been defeated since Mar. 22 when they lost the back end of the crucial Big Ten opener against Northwestern.

But while Michigan has been heating up, Northwestern has been cooling down. These two wins vault the Wolverines ahead of Northwestern in the Big Ten standings and into a tie for first with rival Ohio State.

Michigan has a date with the Buckeyes next Wednesday but can’t overlook an impending series with Iowa this weekend. The Hawkeyes currently sit fourth in the standings and split the series with the Wolverines in Ann Arbor in last year’s matchup.