After finding its shot, adjusting to the physicality of the Big Ten and nabbing a few wins, it’s apparent that the Michigan women’s basketball team may have finally turned the corner.

With the Wolverines’ 64-48 victory over Illinois last night, the team has won back-to-back Big Ten games for the first time in almost two years. The 16-point rout also represents Michigan’s first double-digit conference victory away from Crisler Arena since a win at Northwestern in 2004.

The Wolverines stormed out of the gate with a quick 10-0 lead and never looked back.

With a five-game losing streak and three senior starters benched, the Illini (3-7 Big Ten, 11-9 overall) never took a lead and couldn’t muster a serious run to tie.

“It’s obviously a very big win,” Michigan coach Kevin Borseth said after the game. “Anytime you can win on the road convincingly, that’s good stuff.”

Sophomore forward Carmen Reynolds led Michigan with a career-high 21 points. She went 5-of-7 from downtown, extending her hot shooting. The Hillard, Ohio native has hit 56 percent of her 3-pointers the last five games.

“I was just feeling it offensively,” Reynolds said. “My shot was falling. I kind of laughed a couple of times because it looked like wasn’t going in, and somehow it ended up going in, I didn’t know how.”

It was a career night for freshman forward Nya Jordan as well, scoring a season-high nine points, and continuing to show that, as her role expands, her statistical contributions will as well.

Overall, the Wolverines dominated the stat sheet. Michigan outrebounded the Illini 37-28, shot 18 more free throws and scored 19 points off 18 Illinois turnovers.

But things won’t be as easy for the Wolverines (4-6, 12-8) when they return to home next Sunday to host No. 23 Penn State. The Nittany Lions have won 10 of their last 12 games.

“Penn State, in my mind, has the most talent of anybody in the conference,” Borseth said. “They can pull up right in your face, and right now, on a dime, they can just come right at you. They are loaded.”

A win against the Nittany Lions, coupled with the team’s early-season success, might set the Wolverines up nicely to make a run at the NCAA Tournament.

“They are one of the teams at the top of the Big Ten right now,” Reynolds said. “Hopefully we are able to carry the momentum over and keep getting these wins. Because we can, I know. We’re on the verge of something great.”