For the second time this season, the Michigan men’s golf team went up against former Michigan coach Andrew Sapp and North Carolina. After meeting for the first time in the season-opening Wolverine Collegiate, the two teams met at the Rod Myers Invitational in Durham, N.C.

1. Duke 861 (-3)
2. Baylor 870
3. Charlotte 872
4. Iowa 883
5. Tulsa 886
6. Michigan 899
7. Tennessee 901
8. East Tennessee State 908
9. Coastal Carolina 909
North Carolina 909
11. Georgia Southern 919

10. Matt Thompson 218
T24. Miguel Echavarria 225
T38. Jack Schultz 229
T47. Matt Alessi 232
T57. Noori Hyun 238

In last year’s event, Michigan finished fourth, with former Wolverine Lion Kim finishing fifth individually. The Wolverines returned three participants from last year’s tournament in senior Matt Thompson, junior Jack Schultz, and junior Miguel Echavarria, who finished 17th, 32nd and 37th respectively last year.

This season, under first-year head coach Chris Whitten, the Wolverines finished sixth out of 11 teams. Michigan’s score was 38 strokes higher than last year’s total.

Besides Michigan and North Carolina, the field included No. 8 Duke, Tennessee, No. 19 Iowa, Tulsa, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, East Tennessee State, Georgia Southern and Baylor.

“We are still looking for a little bit more,” Whitten said. “Everything across the board has been pretty mediocre.”

Thompson led the team with a 10th-place finish and a score of 2-over (218), but Whitten was far from pleased.

“Even for (Thompson), who probably played his best tournament of the season, he would be the first to say he was pretty average this week,” Whitten said “He did some nice things for sure, but he knows he can do better. In fact, from top to bottom we can do better and we know that.”

Echavarria finished 24th with a score of 9-over (225), Jack Schultz finished 38th with a score of 13-over (229).

This was the second tournament in as many weeks for the Wolverines.

“It’s only tougher for the guys because they need to make sure they have everything off the golf course organized for the week,” Whitten said.

The team’s next tournament is Oct. 16-17 at the Windon Memorial Classic in Skokie, Ill, and Whitten is happy to have the time off between tournaments.

“We have had some time now to spend with all of our new players and we really have been just getting to know each other’s game up to this point,” he said. “I would say there is plenty of good stuff in everyone’s game.

“Now we are just trying to clean up some of the rougher areas and find some consistency. But we feel comfortable going into the Windon. We’ll be ready for it.”