The Michigan hockey team entered the CCHA Tournament as the seventh seed and easily disposed of Lake Superior State in the first round.

Despite the first-round handling, the Wolverines’ second-round opponent, second seed Michigan State, had defeated Michigan in three of the four rivalry matchups this season. But to prolong their season, the Wolverines would have to win at Munn Ice Arena, where they hadn’t won all season.

But after besting the Spartans 5-1 Friday night, Michigan is well on its way to proving its doubters wrong. It seemed like Michigan State didn’t have a shot from the drop of the puck.

Michigan carried the play in the first 14 minutes. And at one point, the Wolverines outshot the Spartans 9-1.

One mistake that Michigan did make ended up turning into its first goal. Sophomore defenseman Brandon Burlon turned the puck over in the Wolverines’ zone but a defenseman got back in time to interrupt the Michigan State scoring chance.

That’s when junior forward Carl Hagelin got hold of the puck. Hagelin sprinted up the left side of the ice and created a breakaway opportunity. All by himself, with no Spartan defender in sight, Hagelin deked Michigan State goaltender Drew Palmisano and slipped the puck past him for the first goal of the game.

A few minutes later, sophomore forward David Wohlberg raced up the right side of the ice, on a mini-breakaway of his own, and backhanded a goal. And three minutes after Wohlberg’s tally, junior forward Louie Caporusso maneuvered in and out of the Spartan defense and ripped a wrist shot for a goal.

Leading the entire game, junior goaltender Shawn Hunwick held up his end of the bargain and made a few nifty saves, staving off Michigan State in the first period, with help from his defensemen and the post.

Caporusso and senior defenseman Steve Kampfer added goals in the second period and the Spartans added a tally of their own. Kampfer’s shot came from the point, less than 30 seconds into the period. And Caporusso easily put away a rebound as the period came to a close.

So after the second period, the Spartans pulled Palmisano in favor of his backup. The sophomore had given up five goals. Michigan had scored just 9 goals in the teams’ previous four meetings.

The Wolverines doubled the Spartans’ shot output in the game, and Hunwick finished with 15 saves. He improved to 4-1 as Michigan’s goalie in the last five games since regular starter Bryan Hogan went down with a groin injury on Feb. 25.

The Wolverines are back at Munn tomorrow night at 7:05, and if necessary, they will play Sunday in the best-of-three series.