The Michigan women’s golf team finished its fall season in convincing fashion yesterday at the Challenge at Onion Creek, led by a standout performance from senior captain Ashley Bauer.

Bauer finished tied for eighth overall at the Onion Creek Golf Club in Austin. Her performance was strong even though the Wolverines, with a score of 877, were far outmatched by teams like Texas A&M, who won the two-day tournament with a score of 839. Bauer shot a 212, which tied the Michigan 54-hole tournament record.

Fellow senior Andrea Ratigan finished tied for 27th, shooting a 216. Ratigan was in 47th place coming into the final day, but the senior rebounded by shooting par and moving up 20 places.

Even though Bauer’s score tied a Michigan record, Michigan coach Cheryl Stacy said the senior still didn’t feel that was good enough.

“Our seniors played pretty well,” Stacy said. “Ashley was disappointed, but that is because she has high expectations. With this event being par 70, she has some goals that she just missed.”

The Wolverines finished 15th out of 21 teams and posted a season-best score. Improving its combined team scores each round, Michigan never gave up and kept fighting during the tournament to improve.

“I thought our team played a little bit better than the results showed,” Stacy said. “Our scores weren’t that bad, but they could have been better.”

Also placing for Michigan were junior Min Yean Tan, junior Katelin Davis and sophomore Meagan Bauer. Tan shot a season-best 222, and Meagan Bauer tied her 54-hole career best with 228. With the conclusion of this tournament, the Wolverines won’t compete until they hit the links for the spring 2010 season.

“We know what we need to work on,” Stacy said. “We know what our strengths and weaknesses are and we are going to do what we can to improve on both this winter. We are going to take a little bit of time off, but then come right back and get back to work preparing for the spring season.”