Despite a strong start and a season-high road score, the No. 8 Michigan men’s gymnastics team struggled in a loss to No. 4 Stanford’s 351.050-341.700.

According to Michigan coach Kevin Golder, the meet being senior night for the Cardinals (3-4 overall) brought out their best.

In the first round on the floor, freshman Adrian de los Angeles took second place with a 15.30. The Wolverines (2-1 Big Ten, 6-4 overall) totaled a 59.15 to Stanford’s 59.30, staying close to Stanford, as they would continue to do for the next three rounds.

The pommel horse has been one of the tougher rounds for Michigan this season, but at Stanford, the Wolverines were successful on five out of six routines with sophomore Michael Myler taking third, de los Angeles taking fourth and sophomore Dylan James tallying a 57.30 to the Cardinals’ 57.75.

“We were right with them in the first three events,” said Michigan coach Kevin Golder. “But the last half of the meet we just had a lot of trouble, we had a lot of missed routines.”

In the rings, sophomore Alex Bubnov took fourth, but with three out of six falling, Stanford began to take the lead. The Wolverines continued to fall behind on the vault, with sophomore Sam Mikulak taking second with a 15.05 and sophomore Kevin Frasier tying for fourth (14.85).

Frasier performed well with a great floor, vault and rings routine furthering his recovery from a trapeze accident over the summer that has injured his knee and limited him to only working out with the team two days a week.

Mikulak got his second runner-up in the parallel bars scoring 14.90, with de los Angeles taking third tallying 14.70. De los Angeles also scored the highest of the Wolverines in the final round of high bar, taking fourth with a score of 14.00.

De los Angeles came in second in the overall competition with an 87.10 and Mikulak in third (84.30).

The team will spend this week in a training camp in preparation for the next meet on the road against No. 1 Oklahoma.