Before Sunday’s contest against the Michigan women’s basketball team, No. 19 Iowa State had won 51 straight regular season non-conference home games — a stretch that goes all the way back to December of 2003.

And after the game at Hilton Coliseum, the Cyclones made it 52 straight with a 60-47 victory over the Wolverines in front of a crowd of 11,829 rowdy Iowa State fans.

But for much of the game, the Cyclones’ (6-1) streak looked like it was in jeopardy.

Playing in front of more fans than it has seen in three total home games this season, Michigan (4-4) didn’t looked phased early on.

“It was pretty intense,” senior guard Veronica Hicks said of the crowd. “There were so many people screaming, so it was kind of hard to communicate. You just had to block out what is going on around you.”

Hicks silenced the crowd early, scoring four of the Wolverines’ first eight points and grabbing their first three rebounds as Michigan took an early 8-7 lead.

But after getting called for her second foul with just under 13 minutes left in the first, Hicks was forced to tone down her aggressive play.

“It made me a little more cautious when I was defending the ball,” Hicks said. “Offensively, I didn’t want to cause anything that would make them call a charge or anything like that. I didn’t want to force anything.”

With Hicks in foul trouble, the Wolverines found a way to take control of the game midway through the first half.

After Iowa State guard Kelsey Harris hit a 3-pointer to give the Cyclones a 15-14 lead, Michigan responded with an 8-0 run, capped by a layup from sophomore Sam Arnold to give the Wolverines a seven-point lead with just over six minutes left.

But Iowa State responded. Senior sharpshooter Kelsey Bolte drilled a 3-pointer to end the drought for the Cyclones, and with just six seconds left, junior guard Lauren Mansfield drove the length of the court and hit a layup at the buzzer to give Iowa State a 26-24 lead heading into the break.

“That is absolutely inexcusable,” Michigan coach Kevin Borseth said after the game. “(Mansfield) was left-handed, and we just let her go left and score.”

Even after the Cyclones’ 9-0 run to end the half, Michigan was still only down by two. And a 3-pointer by sophomore Jenny Ryan tied the game at 34 with just under 12 minutes to play.

But down the stretch, Iowa State proved to be too much for the Wolverines. Bolte caught fire, converting on three critical 3-pointers in the game’s most crucial minutes.

“We wanted to guard her closer than that,” Borseth said of Bolte, who averages more than 16 points per game. “She got 20 shots off in situations that, in my opinion, are inexcusable. We should have covered her a lot better than we did.”

Michigan still hung around until the closing minutes. Hicks hit a 3-pointer at the three-minute mark to cut the deficit to five, but 6-foot-7 sophomore Anna Prins responded with a 3-pointer of her own on the other end.

The Cyclones dominated the offensive boards down the stretch, eliminating any chance of a Wolverine comeback as Iowa State finished with a 43-31 advantage on the glass.

For Michigan, this is one that slipped away. The Wolverines shot just 2-for-9 from behind the arc in the second half, compared to the Cyclones’ 7-of-14. Michigan also got just four points out of its normally reliable bench.

“We did a good job defensively of holding them down and not giving them great looks,” Borseth said. “We got sloppy late in the game defensively and then didn’t answer offensively. We had good looks. We were wide open and just didn’t convert.”