In a high-scoring affair at Ray Fisher Stadium, Michigan fell to visiting rival Michigan State tonight 13-10.

The game was back-and-forth early on as the Wolverines (10-8 Big Ten, 29-18 overall) put two runs across in each of the first two innings to take an early 4-1 lead. Michigan State, though, fired right back with four runs in the top of the third.

The fifth inning was decisive. The Spartans (8-10 Big Ten, 30-16 overall) came into the frame down 8-7 but put five more across to take a lead that they would not relinquish. Michigan State chased Wolverine starter Matt Miller early, notching seven hits and and five runs off the junior right-hander in his three innings of work. The three succeeding relievers for Michigan didn’t do much better.

The Spartans’ pitching was also vulnerable though. Sophomore designated hitter Coley Crank launched two home runs and had five RBI, and his second jack in the bottom of the fourth gave Michigan the one-run lead. But the Wolverines just couldn’t keep up.

Down 12-8 in the fifth, Michigan managed to put two runners across and cut the deficit in half. The team thought it had scored another when Crank singled to center and brought in redshirt junior second baseman Anthony Toth. But junior outfielder Ryan LaMarre was called out at second and it was ruled that it occurred before the run came across, despite a safe sign from the umpire.

The Wolverines wouldn’t score again, and Michigan State added an insurance run in the top of the sixth to seal the win.