The Michigan baseball team has seen the situation before.

Bases are loaded, the Wolverines lead by one, and they have the opposition in the batters box with a loaded count.

Last time this very situation happened when Michigan lost a heartbreaker to Minnesota. This time the Wolverines lost a 6-4 repeat heartbreaker to Penn State at State College.

The match was scoreless until the sixth frame when senior first baseman Mike Dufek drove in senior catcher Chris Berset from second base. Berset now has 50 scored runs which is the second highest for the Wolverines (13-10 Big Ten, 33-20 overall).

Penn State (9-14, 22-29) quickly responded in the seventh inning when Sean Deegan brought one runner home with a double.

Redshirt junior Anthony Toth singled up the middle in the eighth. Then Toth took off and stole second. Redshirt junior Ryan LaMarre stepped to the plate and singled to the shortstop and that advanced Toth to third base.

The Nittany Lions found themselves in trouble at that point because Berset was then skimmed with a pitch, effectively loading the bases with Toth, LaMarre, and Berset on third, second, and first respectively.

Dufek singled to left and brought in Toth and LaMarre.

Michigan went scoreless in the ninth. Penn State was down 5-1 and not ready to pack it in.

With a few base hits the Nittany Lions found themselves sitting back 5-4 to Michigan and the bases were now loaded with two outs recorded. Michigan coach Rich Maloney decided to call senior pitcher Eric Katzman out of the bullpen and to the mound to replace Brandon Sinnery.

Katzman allowed just one hit while hurling, a single to center field that drove in two runs and gave Penn State the win to tie the series 1-1 going into game three on Saturday.