Yost Arena has seen NCAA tournament games, multiple conference and NCAA championship hockey teams, and just about every other conceivable situation in college hockey. Before that it housed the golden era of short-shorts and Michigan basketball.

But in a seemingly normal weekend split for the Michigan hockey team, Yost and the Michigan hockey program saw something for the first time: a shootout.

As Michigan headed into the weekend series against Alaska Fairbanks, Berenson talked about the importance of getting the first goal. But it was the last one of the weekend — the shootout marker by Alaska’s Dion Knelsen to give the Nanooks a 4-3 win — that was the most important.

Friday’s 6-0 win started as freshman Lee Moffie got the all-important opening marker, streaking in from the blue line and burying a pass from junior Carl Hagelin. After senior Steve Kampfer’s wrist shot was tipped past Alaska goaltender Scott Greenham just 27 seconds later, senior Brian Lebler fired a wrist shot destined for the top corner less than a minute after that.

Michigan (8-7-1-0 CCHA, 13-10-1 overall) had scored all three of these goals in a span of one minute and 23 seconds.

“That is back to Michigan hockey,” senior defensemen Chris Summers said. “That’s been my past experience the last three years and that has always been our style to come out and jump the team early on. I think that was the first time all season we really honed in and did that.”

But Friday’s relatively easy scoring was short lived as goals were at their usual premium Saturday. Heading into the shootout tied at three, both teams chose its three players to shoot and try to gain the extra point.

After four players had shot, the Wolverines found themselves down 1-0 with all their hopes dependent on junior Louie Caporusso.

With everyone in the building on their feet, Caporusso faked backhand and went to the five-hole. Greenham read the deke and shut the door on Caporusso ending the Wolverines’ season-high four-game win streak.

“It is a fun position to be in,” Caporusso said. “When you have the game on your stick – that’s the type of thing you want to have. You always think about that and imagine it when you’re playing with your little brother on the outside rink. … Hopefully, next time I put it in.”

Despite the loss the Wolverines picked up four of the six possible points on the weekend. But according to the coaching staff, the team needed more.

“No, we needed six,” Berenson said when asked just before he left the press conference.

Perhaps the biggest difference between the two games was in penalties. The Nanooks (7-7-4-4, 10-7-5) came into the weekend as the least-penalized team in the country, but racked up 22 minutes on Friday. The Wolverines converted on two of their 10 chances, but held the momentum throughout the contest because of the regularity with which Alaska went to the penalty box.

But on Saturday, Michigan’s march to the penalty box started just over a minute into the game when junior Tristin Llewellyn went off, starting a 16 minute slide. Alaska’s two goals on the man advantage came in that second-period flurry.

“I think our team learned something,” Berenson said. “They learned how valuable the little things are. The penalties, it might seem like they’re not important, they’re huge. Even if you kill them.”