One hundred thirty-six of the finest gymnasts in the country have traveled to Las Vegas to compete for a spot on the U.S National Team.

The No. 1 Michigan men’s gymnastics team has sent seven of their best members to compete in the USA Gymnastics Winter Cup Invitational. Among these individuals is current U.S senior national team member, junior Chris Cameron and 2009 Big Ten All-Around champion, junior Thomas Kelley. Seniors Phillip Goldberg, Kent Caldwell, Mel Anton Santander, and Ryan McCarthy and junior Ian Makowske have also made the trip.

The invitational consists of four sessions held over a period of two days, with the first taking place today. The Michigan athletes competed in the second session of the night. Cameron took fourth place in the all-around, with a score of 85.3, and Mel Anton Santander claimed fifth with an 84.8.

Kelley also has a chance of advancing to the finals, as he is tied for 14th place in the second session. Kelley’s score is nearly eight points higher than the 14th ranked gymnast in the first session, given him the upper-edge to move on.

Determined by a points ranking system, the top 42 gymnasts will advance to Saturday’s finals. The best 15 gymnasts at the end of the challenge will then gain a spot on the national squad.