The Michigan field hockey team proved it didn’t need home-field advantage to continue its winning streak.

In their first Big Ten test of the season, the Wolverines fought back to beat No. 6 Penn State, scoring two goals in the second half and the game-winner in overtime.

Penn State dominated the scoreboard in the first half, scoring two goals, but Michigan outplayed and outshot the Nittany lions in both periods, 5-4 in the first, and 9-7 in the second. It was the sixth time in seven games that the Wolverines have outshot their opponent.

“They were finishing and we weren’t,” Redshirt senior Ainsley McCallister said. “But we both had opportunities.”

Both of Penn State goals came off corners, at Minute 4 and Minute 22, breaking freshman goalkeeper, Sam Swenson five game shutout.

“We knew we could win,” redshirt freshman Carly Bennett said. “We never got down on ourselves.” It was Bennett that turned the game in the Wolverines favor with two back to back goals, at minute 38 and minute 55. She rebounded a missed corner and put up her second goal off a pass from junior Shannon Scavelli.

A yellow card forced Penn State down a player and allowed Michigan to take advantage and ultimately, control of the game. No Nittany Lion shot would pass by Swenson.

In overtime, Penn State didn’t get a single shot off while the Wolverines dominated with five. McCallister sent a powerhouse of a shot past the goalie to finish the game, leading Michigan to a 3-2 win.

“I never knew what I was capable of in a game like that before.” Bennett said. Not only did this game build up Bennett’s confidence but the team as a whole. The first Big Ten game of the season sets a precedent for the rest of the year and based on this game the Wolverines are ready for a tough conference schedule.”

“A game like this, early on focuses our training,” Michigan coach Marcia Pankratz said.

Since they started the season with two losses, the Wolverines are now on a five-game winning streak.

“We needed to improve quickness of play and communications in formations with the younger girls,” McCaliester said.

The loss of Racheal Mack, top scorer for the past season opened up the offense for younger players. With an aggressive and impressive offender the field hockey team of past seasons was more one dimensional according to Pankratz. But now, by utilizing all girls on the field, they are a harder team to defend and able to pull out wins over higher ranked squads.

“It was unreal to beat Penn State on their home turf,” Bennett said.