It starts with the captain.

After the No. Michigan hockey team’s 3-2 loss in Munn Ice Arena Friday night, in which they were outplayed most of the game and fell behind by three goals, senior captain Chris Summers, knew they needed a better effort.

“It’s a short carry over to tomorrow night,” Summers said after Friday’s 3-2 loss. “Hopefully the guys bring it in the first period tomorrow night.”

“The guys,” and more specifically Summers, brought their play to the first period and the rest of the game winning 5-4.

Late in the first period, Summers picked up the puck in his own end, went coast to coast, split the Spartan defensemen and took a backhand that Spartan goalie Drew Palmisano saved. But the rebound was wide open for freshman A.J. Treais, whose shot got deflected, but found it’s way to the back of the net.

Minutes later, junior Carl Hagelin stole the puck off the half boards and gave it to Summers. He let go of a shot that bounced off of a State defensemen and past Palmisano.

Michigan followed that up with another goal, making it 3-0 at the end of the first period.

But the No. 12 Spartans responded, scoring two goals in the second period. Their first was a shorthanded marker by Andrew Rowe, who scored a goal for the Spartans on Friday night as well.

Except for the short time near the beginning of the second period where Michigan State scored both of it’s goals, Michigan had outplayed the Spartans and headed into the third outshooting them 28-13. But that advantage, and the lead wouldn’t last.

With Michigan State on a power play to start the third, junior Matt Rust lost track of Spartan defensemen Jeff Petry, who tapped home a rebound to tie the game.

Michigan mustered only one shot in the first half of the period and the score remained tied until seven minutes remained, when the puck was stolen from junior Ben Winnett behind the Wolverines net and Michigan State’s Dean Chelios went for a wraparound that slid through junior goalie Bryan Hogan’s legs.

But Michigan got some help from one of their other captains. Shorthanded, Hagelin disrupted Palmisano’s clearing attempt and fired a shot back on net. The puck bounced to Rust, waiting on the backdoor and got redemption as he put it in.

With two minutes remaining and “Go! Blue!” chants ringing through the rafters of Joe Louis Arena, freshman Chris Brown picked up the puck on the side of the net and kept jamming at it until it finally found its way toward the back of the net.

Michigan State pulled its goalie but key stops by Hogan and a diving play by Hagelin seeled the game for the Wolverines.

In a high scoring game that was started with a leader, it was ended by a freshman and in the process ended the Spartans three-game win streak over the Wolverines.