SOUTH BEND — A pair of two-out rallies in the opening innings were more than enough for the Michigan baseball team tonight, as the Wolverines defeated host Notre Dame 13-1 to sweep the teams’ midweek series.

Notre Dame starting pitcher Steve Sabatino opened the game with two straight strikeouts, but then the Wolverines rallied. After the next two hitters reached base, sophomore designated hitter Coley Crank singled to bring in junior outfielder Ryan LaMarre and seize the early one-run lead.

Junior first baseman Mike Dufek followed with a triple off the wall in center, and redshirt sophomore Garrett Stephens knocked him in with a single. Michigan added another two-out rally in the second inning to claim a commanding 5-0 lead.

The Wolverines later exploded for six runs in the seventh to pad their lead.

It was more than enough support for starting pitcher Matt Miller. The junior right-hander had struggled immensely to this point in the season, but pitched like the potential high draft choice who entered the year.

Miller shut out the Fighting Irish, allowing just two hits in six strong innings and lowering his ERA more than a full run, from 7.01 to 5.98.

A day after struggling to score in the 3-2 win over Notre Dame, Michigan’s offense was incendiary in South Bend. The team will hope to carry its momentum into the weekend series against Iowa at Ray Fisher Stadium.