After last week’s tough defeat against California in Berkeley, the Michigan men’s tennis team enjoyed the comforts of home this weekend. The Wolverines hosted Princeton on Friday and Wake Forest on Sunday and won both matches convincingly.

Friday’s match against the Tigers had none of the drama that last Saturday’s ITA championship match against California had, with Michigan winning 5-2. The Wolverines opened up by winning the doubles point behind victories by senior Evan King and junior Shaun Bernstein (8-4), and sophomores Alex Petrone and Michael Zhu (8-6).

The singles matches were also dominated by Michigan, as they secured the match early by jumping out to a 4-0 lead. King headlined the dual by posting an upset over second-ranked Matija Pecotic, 6-0, 6-1. Zhu then won 6-2, 6-3 and junior Barrett Franks’ victory clinched the match for the Wolverines.

Michigan had a tougher time dispatching the Demon Deacons, but eventually prevailed, 5-2. The match started much the same as it did against Princeton on Friday, with Michigan winning the doubles point behind the efforts of King and Bernstein.

Wake Forest came out strong in the singles by taking the first point, as Bernstein fell in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4.

After easily coasting past the No. 2 player in the country, King had more trouble in his singles matchup. Wake Forest’s David Hopkins managed to keep the match close with a blistering serve, but the skill of King prevailed as he won, 6-4, 6-4.

Petrone and Kreyman of Wake Forest were locked up in a tight match where seemingly every point was contested and rallies were plentiful, but Petrone eventually prevailed with a 7-5, 6-4 victory.

Franks also had to fight to the last point in a tight match, eventually sealing the victory for the Wolverines, 7-5, 7-6.

“The tables turn pretty quickly,” said Michigan head Bruce Berque. “Franks was barely hanging on and Petrone won his two sets but required late breaks at the end. Our guys showed a lot of composure and stepped up at the end, especially Franks and Petrone.”

After being disappointed with the doubles performance last week, Berque still sees issues that can be improved.

“I think the doubles was better today, but we still haven’t played with discipline on all three courts yet this year,” Berque said. “The rest is just individual things we need to work on.”

King improved his winning streak to eight, and feels like a player who has the talent to be a top player in the nation.

“I can compete with anybody in the country, especially at home,” King said. “I can build momentum from (Friday’s) win.”

Berque hopes that King’s statements hold true for the entire team.

“We are playing better, we’ve just got to improve our doubles and continue to make small adjustments to have everyone’s game improve,” Berque said.